Dock anchor

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I took possession of a complete (minus brakes and drums) 8.75 B-body rear end.
It is locked-up, frozen, rusted, and whatever other adjective you can think of.

I tried to pull it apart. No luck. I chained one axle to to my Ponderosa Pine frame rack and the other axle to my 4x4 truck and banged on it 5 times. No luck.

Is there any salvage with this piece?

Well, if it came that way, are the retainers free but the bearings are just frozen in the housing ends? If so, You can just pressure wash any crud off, then soak the ends one at a
time in either a penetrant, Evaporust, or a 9/1 water/molassas solution, time will get it done. how long may depend on how bad, but even if you find you have to warm the
housing end up and tap the axle flanges(or slide hammer w/a hub pull adapter), it is certainly doable.

You DID unbolt the adjuster/retainers, right? Just checking...

Worse come to worse, cut the housing along the axle tube portion to pull the ends and axles out, salvage the chunk, and sell the housing and ends to someone for a narrowed rear kit. It'll be easy to press those bearings and axles out with the ends free from the housing so you should be able to save the axles, too.

Well, if it came that way, are the retainers free but the bearings are just frozen in the housing ends? If so, You can just pressure wash any crud off, then soak the ends one at a
time in either a penetrant, Evaporust, or a 9/1 water/molassas solution, time will get it done. how long may depend on how bad, but even if you find you have to warm the
housing end up and tap the axle flanges(or slide hammer w/a hub pull adapter), it is certainly doable.
I went through all the traditional methods before I tried pulling with the truck. I think its frozen in the spider gears too. I imagine it looks like one big ball of rust in there.

I went through all the traditional methods before I tried pulling with the truck. I think its frozen in the spider gears too. I imagine it looks like one big ball of rust in there.
Hmmm,.....I would try filling the rear then w/the above solutions, Evaporust works quick, but doesn't cut well through grease, a penetrant like Howes oil or PB Blaster would be
better probably, Kerosene might help as a soak, molassas bath is slower but works.........fill 'er up!!

I suppose I should at least get the fill plug out. I'm gonna weld a nut on it and heat it.

Pull the plug and look in through the fill hole? The only mechanical thing that can screw You, and I've only seen Moser's shortened C-body axles in an A-body housing do this,
but if the splined end of an axle twists or shears in the sure-grip to side gear interface, You ain't never gettin' them out. That'd mean cutting access holes in the housing and
burning the axles in half just outside the carrier bearings.

Finally got it apart. Id been fighting with the pinion bearing and finally got it out. I smacked the pinion around and got it loosened a little and tried again with the slide hammer and got the left side out then sprayed lube down the tube at the right axle and smacked the center pin with a long bar hard and was able to slide hammer the right side. Huge pile if rust in the bango.

Its like someone built it for use and never filled the housing. Its all painted nice and appears to have new brake lines and wheel cylinders.

-
Back