dodge dart rally dash questions

-

marksmopars

Reaction score
I have a 70 dart swinger which we have been working on for years and finally coming together. Now would like to install dash and want a tach, original was wide sweep speedo only. Seems that rally dash doesn't fit into swinger and I am hoping someone might be able to help me understand the difference and what options i might have. Thanks to all.

The difference is in how the dash is cut away for the different instrument panels to sit/attach in them. It might be possible to alter your standard dash to accept a rally inst' panel but most do change the entire dash. Hard part of that accessing the 5 bolts hidden under windshield gasket.
The factory rally dash is nice in the cars that came with it but it can be a money pit. In the end that tach is small. Some aftermarket inst' panel might be the better choice.

Trying to understand what you are telling us. You have a standard dash 70 Swinger and want to install a ralley dash cluster? If that is the case then you need a ralley dash frame as they have a larger opening that a standard dash.

Trying to understand what you are telling us. You have a standard dash 70 Swinger and want to install a ralley dash cluster? If that is the case then you need a ralley dash frame as they have a larger opening that a standard dash.
That is what I was trying to understand, sounds like I need a ralley dash frame i guess. Thanks.

The difference is in how the dash is cut away for the different instrument panels to sit/attach in them. It might be possible to alter your standard dash to accept a rally inst' panel but most do change the entire dash. Hard part of that accessing the 5 bolts hidden under windshield gasket.
The factory rally dash is nice in the cars that came with it but it can be a money pit. In the end that tach is small. Some aftermarket inst' panel might be the better choice.
Thanks, I took the car apart about five years ago now, installed floor pans quarter panels and doors. The dash is laying on my bench now trying to figure how to install a tach into it before I reinstall. Seeing the ralley bezels for sale with the note they don't fit a swinger which I now understand. Thanks for your information it is appreciated.

If you want a tach in the center of the cluster, this tach (Stewart Warner 82181 Sidewinder Tachometer) fits in the ralley dash center blank pod with a little effort from what i understand. runs about $150 on ebay and mimics the factory gauges pretty well and standard hook ups make it a no brainer when oem tachs in unknown cond. run a few hundred $$ and nos ones $800-$1000.
Your dash frame can be made to fit, but it takes plenty of work, tweeking & tuning. those that have done it, all state - "buy a ralley frame"..lol
another option is to find a ralley frame 67-71 and piece & patch (weld in the guage cut out as one piece. this is the route Im going, as I cant find a 70-71 frame thats not the cost of a 4yr college tuition, and afaik the pre-70 (barracuda) units have the incorrect glove box door and ignition switch location (on the dash)
Like you, I got parts & pieces accumulating, just waiting to get it all together and start my ralley dash build.

You can alter a std dash frame to fit the rallye gauge set up. Look for pictures that show the differences.

All rally inst' panels are not the same. Avoid 67 entirely. You'll need 68 or later inst' housing and speedometer, along with 70/71 rally inst' bezel. And don't let anyone tell you that you must have a under dash wire harness for the rally panel. They all have the same wires just in different connectors and positions.

That's what I did.... in reverse; Duster dash to 68 Barracuda.I never liked the dust-collector 68s
Yep, the one year only coin and pen holder lower dash. At least thats what i used mine for on the 68 fastback i had years ago. Used to line up quarters on it to have handy when i drove on the Garden Sate Parkway.

On the 1-2 shift, my keys fly out of the dash, between the buckets, and into the backseat area. If I had coins in the 68 type dash, I might never find them all. I had to take all the keys off the keyring leaving just the ignition key, and it finally stays in there. I have no backseat installed (70pounds), so sometimes even finding the keys was fun.

I only had a 2bbl teener in mine back then. Your lock tumbler must be worn out if the keys fly out on acceleration.

You could put a manual choke pull, a toggle switch, most anything in the pre 70 ignition switch bezel. I cut a second one into my 67 dash for the right mirror remote controller.

DeMonDIN  02.JPG

-
Back