Dodge Demon/Swinger is our South African Valiant Charger

-

Mohsin Bux

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Bux from South Africa here. I have what we call in SA, a Valiant Charger. She's basically a RHD Dodge Demon or Swinger. All our Valiants came with the Slant 6 engine. My Charger is a childhood dream that I hope to restore some day. Yup, it looks impossible to everyone that sees her, including the wife but I guess I'm a dreamer! I'm in no rush since its just so difficult to find any decent Valiant spares if any at all, well here in SA anyway. I see that u guys in US & Canada have so many of these babies. Lucky you!! Wish I could just have one sent to me so I can use whatever I can. Would appreciate some pointers in the right direction though. Anyway, glad to have joined cos there's so much that I've learnt so far.

IMG-20190322-WA0033.jpg

IMG-20190411-WA0026.jpg

IMG_20200531_145012.jpg

IMG_20200531_145028.jpg

IMG_20200531_145035.jpg

IMG_20200531_145039.jpg

Congrats on yur purchase, and good luck with the build. I was under the impression you guys got the VJ Charger that the Australians had.

Last edited:
Hey! Wow! SA checkin in the FABO HOUSE!
Whoooooa! LMAO! So awesome.

The car doesn’t look so bad. But I’m sure it will have its issues and challenges. That right there is called a Demon here in the states.

Welcome aboard!!!!

Make a list and cross one item off one at a time. It’s a long road sometimes.

Did you want to do a engine swap to a V8?
FWIW, the /6 can get pretty good mileage if it is in hood running shape and the tune is done right.

Oh! More pictures please!

How cool that you found us here on FABO and decided to join us! Greetings, and welcome from NY, USA! That Demon, I mean Charger, is definitely a highly sought after A-body here in the states. And to see one on the other side of the planet, RHD, I'm floored! Please keep us posted on your progress!

Last edited:
Congrats on yur purchase, and god luck with the build. I was under the impression you guys got the VJ Charger that the Australians had.
Tx buddy.

Oz VJ seems to be unique to just them. SA had an assembly plant in Cape Town back in the day. From what I've been given to understand, we supplied much of Africa with this variant.

Perhaps you can share a few contacts on where to acquire spares for my project? The local collectors and enthusiasts are either very reluctant to part with spares and of they do, they cost an arm an a leg. Hoping to have them imported from US or Canada if its viable
Hey! Wow! SA checkin in the FABO HOUSE!
Whoooooa! LMAO! So awesome.

The car doesn’t look so bad. But I’m sure it will have its issues and challenges. That right there is called a Demon here in the states.

Welcome aboard!!!!

Make a list and cross one item off one at a time. It’s a long road sometimes.

Did you want to do a engine swap to a V8?
FWIW, the /6 can get pretty good mileage if it is in hood running shape and the tune is done right.

Oh! More pictures please!
Tx for the pointers! ..............and the energy! Feels awesome knowing that my Charger just got such a cool welcome. Much appreciated. Yup V8 is the plan, definitely. Unfortunately we never did not get the 340 in SA so will eventually get to the V8 idea. Ever since Chrysler opted out of SA, I'll probably plant one of the SRT8 oldies from a 300C or perhaps even a Jeep and still retaining MOPAR status of course.

You guys are getting me pumped up again so its high time I take that step and make some progress. Might be a bit slow and not often enough but I'm feeling urls energy here LOL!! Just hope that its not too long a road

How cool that you found us here on FABO and decided to join us! Greetings, and welcome from NY, USA! That Demon, I mean Charger, is definitely is highly sought after A-body here in the states. And to see one on the other side of the planet, RHD, I'm floored! Please keep us posted on your progress!
Tx for the warm welcome. Yeah I also refer to her as a Demon but she is my "Charger" I believe so, that the Dodge Demon fetches quite a decent price there in USA. Sadly though, there are so few left in SA and they're aren't as widely recognized. Those that have them in showroom condition will not part with them for obvious reasons.

Welcome, cool car! I’d love to see pictures of the interior and dash, curious how it’s set up and looks being right hand drive.

Welcome from Texas. Very cool Charger. Can you share some pics of the interior and dash, and engine. Would be cool to see the differences. Good luck on the restoration. If you do the Hemi Swap we have a lot of info on here. I love my Hemi Swap. But sometimes wish I had my /6 back in it for nostalgia.

Very cool.

I always enjoy seeing Mopars from other countries.

Can we see inside and under the hood?

Maybe even the fender tag.

Was it orange from the factory? That's cool.

Are those Charger emblems on the quarter panels factory?

That's a kind of odd application, but Mopar does have a history of putting emblems in somewhat odd locations.
71/72 Road Runners and Dart GT's come to mind.

...and the whole stripe around the tail thing...and the pentastar only on one side thing...

Last edited:
That's awesome! I think I have some taillights I can donate....

@Mohsin Bux -The only 2 tips on a new HEMI I can give is;

Get the newest one available. The older models aren’t as desirable and are harder to make decent power with.

Read FABO! There is a section here where there is a bunch of threads on HEMI swaps. There trials and troubles as well as the triumphant moments when there ripping up the road.

The guys that did the HEMI swaps are super helpful and really knowledgeable on it. They should be able to get you through the swap pretty good. There a great bunch.

I can’t help in that area. Not a drop. But that’s where I’d go in a heart beat flat if I ever went down the new HEMI swap road.

More pictures please!

Very cool car! Thanks for sharing! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Badass man! Since you asked for pointers, I'll throw out my two cents. I'd imagine procuring parts must be tough in that part of the globe. Because of that alone, I'd be careful about diving in too deep. Maybe just tackle the mechanicals and get it road worthy from a safety standpoint. Then you can decide how deep you really want to get into it. Far too often, people dive in neck deep into a project car and the car never again sees the light of day. I speak from experience...
:rofl:

Love those valiant chargers. Excellent score btw. Hopefully some of what you need you can find here. The knowledge on this site is amazing as are the people

I love it!! Welcome to the madness we call FABO!!

You can post wanted advertisements here on FABO but shopping would be high...but some sellers would be glad to ship. I'm sure!

:welcome: from :canada:

Way cool to see these cars were produced in SA, they were very popular in Canada and of course the US. Not surprising that any locals don't want to give up their parts hoards. Good luck with your project, start a build thread so we can all follow along.
Lots of great people here and tons of knowledge to tap.

Unfortunately, between shipping and import fees it will probably be expensive to bet parts from the other side of the world too.

When talking about motor swaps, remember, he's right hand drive...

I'm interested to see if they did the RHD on those like the AU ones where the steering gear is bolted to the inner fender vs the K frame.

...among other things.

I've also noticed that MX and South American A body cars seem to almost always have fold down arm rests for the back seat.

Welcome, cool car! I’d love to see pictures of the interior and dash, curious how it’s set up and looks being right hand drive.

Hey. Tx for the lovely welcome. Will take some over the weekend.

-
Back