Dodge Diesel/Cummins Mechanic Advice Needed

-

Brad4406

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure what section to post this in, so Mods feel free to move if I put it in the wrong place. Here's my issue:

99 Ram 2500 w/5.9 Cummins. Was having a slow to start issue along with every so often while I was driving down the road the Air Bag light would come on. Well, slow to start turned into no start. Lift pump was changed 8 years ago, injector pump three years ago, put on a used injector pump recently that was supposedly good and just replaced the lift pump again after a local shop recommended it, but they actually recommended buying an aftermarket Fass or Air Dog pump instead of a new Cummins pump.

The lift pump is a new Cummins pump; I know they're junk, but I'm just trying to get the truck running to sell it and don't want to drop big money into it. I know I shouldn't have wasted money on a used injector pump, but once again, just trying to get it running to sell.

I'm getting fuel to the injector pump from the lift pump. I'm also getting a small amount of fuel out of the lines at 1, 3, and 4 injectors. I"m getting the same amount of fuel that I was before I changed out the lift and injector pumps.

I read in my manual in the wiring section and noticed the Air Bag system power is intermingled with the fuel system power. Any chance the two problems could be related?

I'm getting fed up and could really use some advice, besides spending big money on an after market lift pump and new injector pump. I'm really leaning towards new injector pump, but I can't stand to spend the money, especially if it could be something else.

Thank you in advance.

Brad

Attachments

• 99 Ram 2500 4 X 4 Cummins.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,928
The fuel shut off solenoid is stuck There is a rod under the pump pull outto start push to stop. You can operate this manually to start it . but it will shut off on its own with the key.

The fuel shut off solenoid is stuck There is a rod under the pump pull outto start push to stop. You can operate this manually to start it . but it will shut off on its own with the key.

Sorry I didn't include it before as I forgot to mention, I'm getting fuel to the injector pump from the lift pump. I'm also getting a small amount of fuel out of the lines at 1, 3, and 4 injectors. I"m getting the same amount of fuel that I was before I changed out the lift and injector pumps. Do you think the soleniod is still possibly stuck even though I'm getting a small amount of fuel to the injectors?

Check your fuel line connections. Not sure if they are the same on yours as they are on mine (I have a 98 with a 12 valve), but I had similar issues and the plastic connectors that connected the fuel line on the motor at the lift pump to the hard line on the truck frame got brittle and was letting air and junk into the line which was clogging my fuel filter and causing the lift pump to lose its prime when sitting.

Have you checked the pressure at the injector pump? Needs to be 10 or better. Next have you attempted to bleed the lines at the injectors? Agree the factory lift pump is less than adequate but the pressure reading tells the story!

There is a fuel pump relay in the engine compartment fuse box not sure which one or what it is labled as (maybe fuel or ignition ). Does the electric fuel pump run if you turn the key on and bump the starter ? Also does the digital odometer have any message on it or is it just displaying the mileage.

Brian

Check your fuel line connections. Not sure if they are the same on yours as they are on mine (I have a 98 with a 12 valve), but I had similar issues and the plastic connectors that connected the fuel line on the motor at the lift pump to the hard line on the truck frame got brittle and was letting air and junk into the line which was clogging my fuel filter and causing the lift pump to lose its prime when sitting.

All of my connections are metal on the 24 valve. All have new seals installed afer replacing the lift pump and the injector pump. Thank you for the idea though.

Have you checked the pressure at the injector pump? Needs to be 10 or better. Next have you attempted to bleed the lines at the injectors? Agree the factory lift pump is less than adequate but the pressure reading tells the story!

I haven't checked it yet. With a new lift pump and a fairly new filter I figured I must be getting enough pressure to the injector pump. I bled the fuel system after replacing the injector pump and again today after replacing the lift pump. I'll see if I have a pressure guage laying around that I can hook up to it long enough to check and then remove. My buddy has been telling me for years to install one.

There is a fuel pump relay in the engine compartment fuse box not sure which one or what it is labled as (maybe fuel or ignition ). Does the electric fuel pump run if you turn the key on and bump the starter ? Also does the digital odometer have any message on it or is it just displaying the mileage.

Brian

I'll have to check the fuses again. The lift pump runs after bumping the key to start or cranking the engine. The odometer is just displaying the mileage.

Turbo diesel registry......

Register and pose the question in the emergecy section and you will get answers qiuckly!!!!

18 Mm wrench and crack a few lines at the head fitting to the injectors. Be careful as it is very high pressure. If your LP runs on key on then you either have an air lock post injector pump or computer/Sensor issues.

i work on cummings b and c marine engines and the fuel shut off solenoid can be a ***** and should never be installed on a marine engine at least a commercial one and we remove them from new engines before they go in.check if it has power going to to the solenoid with the key on no power no go. and on the rotary pump the shut off is in the pump but i dont think they use this type in trucks.

Your truck has a code read feature built into the ECM. Cycle the key on-off-on-off-on-off within 5 seconds and any codes stored in the computer will display in your odometer.

Being that this is a '99 24 Valve truck it has the VP44 injection pump. There is no external fuel solenoid on this pump so you can disregard those comments. All of the metering and fuel shut off is electronically controlled inside the pump.

What's it do when you crank on it right now? Does it try to fire at all? How about when you crack the injector lines? Does it act like it wants to take off when you're cranking it with the lines open? When you're getting fuel out of the injector lines, is this while cranking or just bumping the key to make the lift pump run?

Your truck has a code read feature built into the ECM. Cycle the key on-off-on-off-on-off within 5 seconds and any codes stored in the computer will display in your odometer.

Being that this is a '99 24 Valve truck it has the VP44 injection pump. There is no external fuel solenoid on this pump so you can disregard those comments. All of the metering and fuel shut off is electronically controlled inside the pump.

What's it do when you crank on it right now? Does it try to fire at all? How about when you crack the injector lines? Does it act like it wants to take off when you're cranking it with the lines open? When you're getting fuel out of the injector lines, is this while cranking or just bumping the key to make the lift pump run?

Right now, it just cranks and cranks, never attempting to fire. I've only been cranking it with the 1, 3, and 4 injector lines cracked as that's what the Dodge manual says to do. I believe the fuel is only coming out of the injector lines while cranking. I'll try it again today to verify.

Thank you for the info on the built-in code reader. I'll try that procedure today as well.

i had a buddy that had what sounds to be the same problems!! after a lot of money spent at the diesel shop for inj. pump,lift pump and. diagnostic time he got his truck back not running!! his adventure lasted 3 months. his turned out to be the main ecm (computer) was bad. his truck is a 99 also. he sent his ecm out to be fixed i can get the info for the place he sent it to if you are interested...just my $.02

He doesn't have an inline P-pump, he has the electronically controlled VP44 pump. There is no external fuel shutoff that he can manually control.

I have an 01 and couldnt figure out what this rod was. Guess cause I dont have one. I have a vp44.

have you tried a little wd40 in the intake to verify its not a head gasket or something of that nature?

I would never use starting fluid but wd40 is okay for a one time trial

No codes came up. By just bumping the key to start, the lift pump comes on for approximately 20 seconds; this is what I used to accomplish the initial bleed on the fuel system yesterday, then I loosened the #1, 3, and 4 lines at the injectors for the final bleed. Fuel only comes out of the injector lines when the engine is being cranked.

Turbo diesel registry......

Register and pose the question in the emergecy section and you will get answers qiuckly!!!!

I'm a member at dieseltruckresource.com They have an emergency area as well, but I just posted in the regular area. This truly isn't an emergency as the truck has been down for a few months now and it's not my daily driver.

I'll register there as well.

Sounds like you're getting fuel to the injectors, and you are correct, fuel only comes out of the injector tubes when cranking. Your high pressure pump is engine driven. I have seen many crank sensors go bad on these, and also fuel injector harnesses (which is internal to the valve cover gasket). But usually these will trip codes. Hope your ECU is good !

-
Back