Dodge eco diesel pickup??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Step son had one 2 years ago, he loved it but it leaked antifreeze and the dealer never could figure out why!! LOL So he trades it on 3/4 t Nisson diesel. Hates its mileage, gonna trade it off for??? He checks the reviews on the Dodge eco diesel now, and not good!!! Anyone with good opinion/info??
He is 27, he and wife make good $, he is an Ag teacher and drives 50 mi one way to work. The pickup is image for work?? ( IMO), he pulls a good size bass boat that a slant would haul to the lake 5 mi away and occasionally to a bigger lake 100 mi away. Being a tournament fisher guy is also about looking "good"??
His wife loves them running around on days off in the "truck". He would gladly get another eco diesel IF it did not have problems, and go to the friggin dealer every time you said squat and then they can not fix the damn thing!!
My opinion is buy a new decent whatever car to drive to work, and get a nice used truck for the boat hauling and shopping!!!

I haven't heard anything good about the little Dodge diesel, which is a shame. My brother just got an F150 with the new 3 liter Power Stroke. So far, so good.

My dad has had an ecodiesel since they came out. He pulls a 28 foot enclosed car trailer down interstate loaded. Has never had a problem yet. They sent out an emissions update, so he asked the dealer if it would ruin his fuel mileage and the dealer told him not to do it. So far no complaints.

Why not find a good used 2500 or 3500 with a cummins? 2006 was the last year of the 5.9l, but mid 2006.5 they released the 6.7l with the def crap.

Why not find a good used 2500 or 3500 with a cummins? 2006 was the last year of the 5.9l, but mid 2006.5 they released the 6.7l with the def crap.
2007 was the last year for 5.9, I bought a new that had a build date of 2/07. Mid year they came out with the 6.7 in 2007. 2012 was the last year they didn't use DEF.

^^^I stand corrected, always thought it was 2006.5 lol. All i know is i can't wait to get rid of my def on my 2014 ram.

My 2018 is the first one I've owned that uses DEF. It's not to bad right now. A 2 1/2 gallon jug last me about 5000 miles. But I've heard nightmare stories about the DEF when you get 80-100K miles. I will delete mine when I'm out of warranty.

Yeah mines not bad either but, gas mileage goes up with the def removed and a tune. Yeah I've heard at 100k the def filter needs to be removed and cleaned, heard it's about 1g for that service. Only programmers I've found for 14 and later is raceme or liveefi, both are about $1500 for then.

I know of 4 ppl that haven’t had a problem with their eco’s. I have also heard some horror stories. But just on the earlier 1s. Fca has made a few so called improvements over the years. Kim

I know of 4 ppl that haven’t had a problem with their eco’s. I have also heard some horror stories. But just on the earlier 1s. Fca has made a few so called improvements over the years. Kim

What the heck is a "def" ?
I know a guy that's got the little diesel and loves it and its mileage .
My 2002 dodge quadcab that I drove for 15 yrs , leaked antifreeze , I made an extra rad. cap gasket out of a plastic qt. oil can and slipped it over the tangs on the cap, making the gasket thicker , worked for the rest of the 15 yrs./about 140,ooo--------simple , no money or dealer involved !
I only had 2 problems w/ that truck , front wheel bearings at about 140,00 , "5 bolts each side after pulling the wheels" , and a rad. leake at the bottom left hand corner , which I made a clamp and clamped the seam back together, was on it when I traded it yrs later -----------
Haven`t had any trouble out of my 2014 ram , except the check engine light comes on for a while after I abuse it on the hi way, but goes off and stays off until the next time.
Information center says all is good when it happens, will get around to having it checked "one of these days .''

Def is diesel exhaust fluid, all it's there for is to keep the trucks from making black smoke come out when you hit the throttle, keeps it cleaner. It's just another emissions thing that they thought would bring in more money.

IMO eco-diesels are not worth the extra expense ($3500-$4200) when buying new . It takes over 100,000 miles for it to break even . Here in New Hampshire diesel is close to $3.00 a gallon . Where's the savings ? Especially when the mileage sucks .

I think the kid was get low 30's in his eco diesel he had, on the road totally. He loved the truck and mileage, but how can a shop NOT find a, antifreeze leak?????? Diesel is usually about 45-50 cents more than reg, gas. Or how can the mother fiat not have a clue!??? We will see what he decides to do.

I think the idea of getting a cheap commuter car makes sense. If he is doing 100 miles a day, have him pick up a inexpensive small, or midsize car that is two or three years old. That way the big hit on depreciation is gone, and you should be able to get something with under 25k mile. Most modern cars will go 150-200k or more with good maintenance. Then he can pick up a nice used half ton, which will last a long time doing weekend, and wife duty.

IMO eco-diesels are not worth the extra expense ($3500-$4200) when buying new . It takes over 100,000 miles for it to break even . Here in New Hampshire diesel is close to $3.00 a gallon . Where's the savings ? Especially when the mileage sucks .

Not to mention the oil changes !

I think the idea of getting a cheap commuter car makes sense. If he is doing 100 miles a day, have him pick up a inexpensive small, or midsize car that is two or three years old. That way the big hit on depreciation is gone, and you should be able to get something with under 25k mile. Most modern cars will go 150-200k or more with good maintenance. Then he can pick up a nice used half ton, which will last a long time doing weekend, and wife duty.
That is what I would do but I am not 27 years old!!!! lol

-
Back