Dodge Powerwagon Throwout bearing

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
Hey Gang, got a question about throw out bearings, on my truck’s Np435 transmission. So at high revs, or at cruise at 1800rpm and above I get a loud grind/ rattle and comes to a stop when deceleration and/ or clutch engagement. Came to be my throw out bearing, has a lot of play around input shaft. I’m assuming it should have very little to no play. Also, does the Throwout bearing always ride/spin on the pressure plate fingers?

The throw out bearing should only ride on the pressure plate fingers when shoving the clutch in.
It should have free play when not touching the clutch petal.
Sounds like you have the clutch adjusted too far, most likely to compensate for a worn disk or pressure plate.

It shouldn't have much if any play on the input bearing retainer snout, only back and fourth movement against and away from the pressure plate. Check to see if the bearing retainer snout isn't broken.

Unless you have a hydraulic clutch there should be a little clearance between the through out bearing and the pressure plate.

It shouldn't have much if any play on the input bearing retainer snout, only back and fourth movement against and away from the pressure plate. Check to see if the bearing retainer snout isn't broken.

Unless you have a hydraulic clutch there should be a little clearance between the through out bearing and the pressure plate.
That’s what I was thought, the throw out bearing doesn’t apply into the pressure plate fingers evenly. It sits that loose on the input shaft retainer. It’s got a good amount of play, about 1/8”-3/16” of play.

The play on the trans retainer sounds ok, they do not fit tight, if the bearing is not hitting all three fingers at the same time, you have a pressure plate issue.
For a economical but quality clutch, look at the Ram muscle car series, they will run around $300 bucks, but work smooth and grip good.
The clutch is a 11" 23 spline, typical big block clutch, used in trucks, regardless of the engine.

The play on the trans retainer sounds ok, they do not fit tight, if the bearing is not hitting all three fingers at the same time, you have a pressure plate issue.
For a economical but quality clutch, look at the Ram muscle car series, they will run around $300 bucks, but work smooth and grip good.
The clutch is a 11" 23 spline, typical big block clutch, used in trucks, regardless of the engine.
Found the culprit, the throw out bearing retainer completely broke off, at the base of the bearing retainer, LAME! Thank you guys for the help! You’re all real ‘MERICA icons.

-
Back