Does anybody know

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I know this isn't an A-body question but it is a Mopar question and I know there's allot of guys here that know Rams with Cummins engines.

Question is what year did they switch from a manual injection pump to an electronic injection pump? I don't know beans about a diesel but a buddy of mine has a real good running 90 Cummins in a trashed body and he has the chance to buy a nice looking 96 Ram with a blown Cummins cheap but some have told him that somewhere in the mid 90's Mopar switched to electronic injection pumps and his 90 engine may not work in it.

Thanks for any help you can give us. Tracy

From what i remember it wasnt till 99 when they all were electronic. some late 98's.

Up through 1993, a rotary mechanical injection pump was used, 1994-1998.5 the Bosch P7100 injector pump was used, which is also mechanical. The P7100 is much more desirable if he plans on modifying it. If he wants to go this route, not only will he have to switch the injector pumps, but he will have to switch the front covers on the engines too. Also, if doing this, be sure to take care of the KDP (killer dowl pin) while the front cover is off. Tons of places sell the kit to take care of this. The KDP is a dowl pin that is known to vibrate out and fall onto the path of the crank, cam, injection pump gears and cause havoc.

-
Back