Does anyone besides me actually like it when your door squeaks?

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does a squeaky door kinda give you a little satisfaction in knowing that your car isn’t perfect, she’s got some years in, and that maybe she’s earned the right to squeak when and where she wants to?

I get it, sometimes squeaks should alert us to something that needs attention. But I propose that we let our squeaky door hinges be. Our cars ain’t new, and by golly, they’ve earned it.

I was listening to a members video, he was pressing the gas pedal.
It made the exact same squeak as my 67 dart.

:)

Problem is when the squeak they are going to wear out and sag. So lube the hinges and latches twice a year, they have earned it!

And please use something better than WD40

Ha, my buddies talk smack about the door squeak of my ride and threaten to spray the hinge with WD-40. I pop back, “you spray my door hinges, I’m slashing your tires”

For years my Dart would make the rattle when you shut the door from the door striker detaching/rusting out. I read an article about a hemi Dart and they described it as the Dart death rattle. Now that my door jams are rebuilt I really don't miss it that much.

IMO knowing that my car is 51 years old is all the satisfaction that I need and it's possibly because of the attention to the small little maintenance items that's kept it going. A squeak of any kind annoys me no matter what it is that I own.

It amazes me that my 1970 340 swinger 4 speed circle track camshaft six pack and solid motor mounts can roll down the highway at 65 or 70 without a rattle or a squeak as true as an arrow.

OFN!
I’ve spent years solving squeaks and rattles, and I’m not throwing all that away.
Hell, the bottom edge of my dash is even connected to the firewall.:D

IMO knowing that my car is 51 years old is all the satisfaction that I need and it's possibly because of the attention to the small little maintenance items that's kept it going.
That's a pretty good way to look at it. I'm not saying we should neglect our cars, but as in my case, there might be higher priorities than squeaky hinges. Yes, I'll get to the hinges, but it really doesn't bother me since most of my attention is going to tuning the engine, feeling how the transmission shifts, getting the brakes dialed, etc.

It amazes me that my 1970 340 swinger 4 speed circle track camshaft six pack and solid motor mounts can roll down the highway at 65 or 70 without a rattle or a squeak as true as an arrow.
My car rolls down the road silky smooth as well, just has a squeaky door hinge. It annoyed me at first, but I've decided that my attention would be better spent making sure it drives fine.

It is what it is it comes with old cars for sure. And squeaks well usually they're fairly easy to solve and rattles well they'll just make me bat s*** crazy

Rattles are a different story...

If someone made a door hinge that was designed to squeak, but operated correctly....I'd buy it

Is it just me, or does a squeaky door kinda give you a little satisfaction in knowing that your car isn’t perfect, she’s got some years in, and that maybe she’s earned the right to squeak when and where she wants to?

I get it, sometimes squeaks should alert us to something that needs attention. But I propose that we let our squeaky door hinges be. Our cars ain’t new, and by golly, they’ve earned it.
Nope, but I like it when my house door squeaks, steps too!

I havent touched my drivers door hinges yet as the door will come off for paint. My lawyer came by the other day and opened the door. When it made the groany squeak, he said “Dont fix that.”
I generally take his advice, but probably not this time.

1967-69 Barracuda FB's.
Hood has a Raaaah sound when opened.
Rear trunk separation panel squeaks.
All 5 of mine over the years have had the same sounds, even in 1969.

1967-69 Barracuda FB's.
Hood has a Raaaah sound when opened.
Rear trunk separation panel squeaks.
All 5 of mine over the years have had the same sounds, even in 1969.
Great description! Lmao, that's how the hoods on both of my '69 cuda's sounded at one time.

Last edited:
When the door sags enough to break the sheet metal at the latch post you will wish you had maintained the door hinges.

I found squeakless door hinges at HD. My wife is happy. I hope it eliminates all that metal shaving black crap too. Smooth hinges. No squeak. Yay.

I had a feeling most would disagree, and hopefully those folks don't think I'm some fool who intentionally neglects his car just so he can hear the door squeak. For the record, I'm gonna get to the hinges....I promise. Who knows, maybe I'll be whistling a different tune when they're operating like new. The deck lid operates fantastically - closes tight as a drum as quiet as a mouse fart. I like it.

I'll get around to it. Heck, maybe you all have convinced me. Reminds of years ago when my dad asked me when I was going to quit smoking. I told him I'd get around to it. Next day he showed up with a round wooden coin that said "TUIT." He said, "Here, now you can quit smoking." I'm 23 years without a smoke.
tuit.jpg

internet pic, but mine was just like it

Last edited:
-
Back