Does anyone know what Ditzler 14202 blue engine enamel is?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
I recently posted a question in this forum asking what the exact correct blue engine paint is for my 1974 Duster's slant six engine. Someone mentioned that if I could find a paint code, that would help. I recently found an old Ditzler Automotive Finishes color chart for 1974 Plymouth products. It says that the blue DITZCO alkyd engine enamel is code 14202. Does anyone know what this means, or perhaps have a color sample of this? I only want to paint my engine once, and I want it to be right. Thanks - cruiser

I recently posted a question in this forum asking what the exact correct blue engine paint is for my 1974 Duster's slant six engine. Someone mentioned that if I could find a paint code, that would help. I recently found an old Ditzler Automotive Finishes color chart for 1974 Plymouth products. It says that the blue DITZCO alkyd engine enamel is code 14202. Does anyone know what this means, or perhaps have a color sample of this? I only want to paint my engine once, and I want it to be right. Thanks - cruiser

Alkyd Enamel is the old air dry Synthetic Enamel they used in the 70s.

See if you can get the same code mixed in an Acrylic Enamel and then use a hardener with that so that it is chemical resistant to gasoline and oil.

I agree acrylic enamel would be a better choice and they should be able to mix it in acrylic enamel however, I would not shy away from the synthetic enamel...what do you think you are getting in a rattle can? It is definately not a 2k paint. You can call a PPG dealer (Ditzler is a PPG product) and ask them what color it is or better yet go to a dealer and look at the chip. I kick myself for having thrown out my chip book. It was 6" thick with chips from the 40's to mid 80's.

Synthetic enamel probably goes back further than the 70's but I'm no paint historian. I have shot it a few times back in the early 80's and it can be used with a hardener which will extend the gloss and durability of it. I would use it over a rattle can any day. I have painted at least 3, maybe 4 cars with it and they all turned out absolutely fantastic. I always hardened the paint, if you don't and it is exposed to UV, it will get chaulky in a couple years of sun exposure.

Here is a 1972 solid color B3 Super Blue (not a metal flake color) that is a good match to your 74 engine color.

Centari Code (Dupont) acrylic enamel:
5351A Super Blue

20220615_120511.jpg

Here is the proper hardener if you can find it online for the earlier synthetic enamel paints (alkyd enamel) if you choose to use them.

20220615_121239.jpg

-
Back