Does anyone know what this might be???

-

1970dartcustom

of the Moore clan
Reaction score
I am building my 70 Dart with 383, 727, 8 3/4, and I'm at the point where exhaust is all on and I drove it around some today.

The issue is, I am getting a bit of starter noise just every once in a long while... I have no idea why??? Just driving around, and I'll get a bit of noise n then nothing...

I tried to sort of shim the starter (spacer) but no...

Is there some way maybe I need to tighten the torque strap a bit n the motor is moving n causing this? I am just guessing, NO IDEA...

I am building my 70 Dart with 383, 727, 8 3/4, and I'm at the point where exhaust is all on and I drove it around some today.

The issue is, I am getting a bit of starter noise just every once in a long while... I have no idea why??? Just driving around, and I'll get a bit of noise n then nothing...

I tried to sort of shim the starter (spacer) but no...

Is there some way maybe I need to tighten the torque strap a bit n the motor is moving n causing this? I am just guessing, NO IDEA...
Check to see if the starter is hitting the block. Some block castings have extra material in the pocket where the starter fits causing the starter to mount a little crooked. You should be able to slip a piece of paper all the way through that area between the starter and the block.

May want to check for torque convertor bolt heads intermittently contacting shield.

you can just remove the exhaust from the headers and that should fix it
(might not take care of the noise, but it would take care of you hearing it)

seriously though, what do you mean "starter noise", does it rattle around like its loose, clang like its hitting or sound like its engaging?

you can just remove the exhaust from the headers and that should fix it
(might not take care of the noise, but it would take care of you hearing it)

seriously though, what do you mean "starter noise", does it rattle around like its loose, clang like its hitting or sound like its engaging?
Oh, I mean like its rattling a bit sometimes when I step down on it... and sometimes when I'm not..
So, someone told me that there is supposed to be some sort of collar or spacer between the starter and the flex plate and without it there's a rattle... does this sound familiar?

Last edited:
i know on my 727 there is an inspection cover that sits between starter and the bellhousing
is that on your car?

Ive had that sound before and it was a cracked flex plate. Sometimes sounding like a rattle and other times a chirping....

-
Back