Does anyone remember these?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Mopar Guys/Gals: I was going through my garage cabinets yesterday and found these old school cardboard and metal cans of motor oil. I remember my dad pulling into the Standard Oil gas station in my neighborhood growing up and seeing these cans stacked there. The attendant would actually open up the hood of our '67 Fury wagon once he stuck the fuel hose in (the photo below is the same Fury wagon with me loading my little sister in the rear seat and mom climbing into the driver's seat). He'd check the oil and show the dipstick to my dad. If we were a quart down, the attendant would pierce an oil can with a metal spout like the one shown in the photo. Later when I was older, I learned to change my own oil and filter and I always found a certain satisfaction from the schlunk sound that the spout would make when I'd ram it down on the can. How about you? Do you remember schlunking these oil cans back in the day? I just don't get the same satisfaction from twisting off the cap on a modern plastic oil quart. (PS: Can you identify the sedan in the right foreground of the second photo?)

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

I still have a bunch of those cans and spouts. Looks like a 64 Fury in the foreground, my dad had one...

My biggest issue was finding a spout that didn't leak all over the place when I was pouring the oil in- I finally found a spout that I was happy with, and then they started changing over to plastic bottles. Still have it, don't know why.

How about this shirt that was mine when I was a kid? I had Nella put it on when she was just a sprout, because it would fit her. My grandpa was a Kendall oil rep, and we were always adorned with Kendall stuff. It’s obviously older than the plastic jug oil bottles we use today. As a matter of fact, Kendall had a bunch of firsts, they were the first company to introduce a gallon jug of oil, and the first to develop a synthetic oil. My grandpa was so behind the synthetic oil, he put it in his company car and drove 50k miles without an oil change. I know the wife will probably kill me, but I’m including a pic of the shirt that promotes the first gallon jugs of oil. And one of the whole family wearing my old Kendall shirts

CB40758B-28DE-4121-8551-6F3A767238D7.png

D5F03B82-63F6-47CB-8C37-DF9055A2CEAB.png

B6CDB3CF-615C-4F38-A665-4DD0882CB6DA.jpeg

When I started in the oil business we were still selling the paper cans. At Pennzoil we'd just transitioned to the 12 pack. Market research showed women bought a lot of oil, but wouldn't buy 24 quarts because the case was too heavy (50 pounds). In those days Arnie Palmer was in a lot of the advertising.
Screenshot_20220820-184357.png

How about this shirt that was mine when I was a kid? I had Nella put it on when she was just a sprout, because it would fit her. My grandpa was a Kendall oil rep, and we were always adorned with Kendall stuff. It’s obviously older than the plastic jug oil bottles we use today. As a matter of fact, Kendall had a bunch of firsts, they were the first company to introduce a gallon jug of oil, and the first to develop a synthetic oil. My grandpa was so behind the synthetic oil, he put it in his company car and drove 50k miles without an oil change. I know the wife will probably kill me, but I’m including a pic of the shirt that promotes the first gallon jugs of oil. And one of the whole family wearing my old Kendall shirts

View attachment 1715973317

View attachment 1715973322

View attachment 1715973323
Great photos - thanks!

Yep, punched a lot of those cardboard cans, working at an Atlantic service station as a teenager. I also remember, if you weren't careful, you could cave in the side of the can and make a mess. :lol:

When we had parts store I remember stacking the cases of 24. And yes they’d crush trying to punch the spout through. Batteries were also dry and had to fill them with acid. No matter how careful next time pants got washed find the holes starting from the acid.

Like @missing linc I worked in a "filling station/garage" in the late 70's early 80's. Sliced open many a cardboard/tin oil cans with those!

Okay, I don't think I'm THIS old, but the first shop I worked at had a bunch of these that we would fill up from the bulk barrels...
OIP.zEkPC4VYOmyFHaIn7e4jGQHaJ4?w=194&h=259&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

They were old at the time, REALLY old now.

I used the paper oil cans and spout for many years after I started driving in 73. After a while, I had to file the point on the end of the spout to sharpen it back to where it would easily pierce the can without smushing the side down. I still have 5 unopened quarts of Gulf Pride 30 weight oil in the paper cans. I had bought them to change the oil in my 70 Challenger 340 in 1984, but never used them before I parked it.

the glass professor fate shows, i used them and we filled them with "refined" oil and it was 10 cents a qt. new oil was 20 cents a qt. full service gas station. i got fired for not wiping the windshield. in the rain. owner called the next day and wondered why i was not at work and i told him he fired me for not cleaning the w/s when it was raining. he said don't you know i was kidding. i said NO I DON'T. he said you better get here , you are late. went to work.

I worked at a Shell gas station as a youth, lied about my age and no one cared! We used to get in all kind of shenanigans with the Marathon station across the street. Wrist rockets and grease zerks comes to mind! We poured many of those cans!

-
Back