Does Coca-Cola Convert rust? Results

-

RichB

CherryCuda65
Reaction score
There was a recent thread on using vinegar to remove rust. I commented that soaking rusty parts in Coca-Cola could convert rust to a phosphate coating because Coke contains phosphoric acid. Someone said he tried it and it did not work. I think we are dealing with two issues. First, a chemical reaction takes time to work. Second, the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is very low. I tested some rusty parts (pic 002) for one day (pic 004) and for three days (pic 006)
My picture quality is not good, but if you look at the very rusty piece of pipe you see a big difference after one day and a pretty nice phosphate coat after three days. I wanted to prove my point ....however, ... I would not mess with Coke for rust removal. Buy a product with a high concentration of phosphoric acid designed for the purpose. It will produce a much thicker, harder coating.

Convert rust with Coke 002.jpg

Convert rust with Coke 004.jpg

Convert rust with Coke 006.jpg

I know that Coca Cola will convert Crown Royal into a great drink???? :rofl:

Vinegar and Crown don't mix well???

Also.....if you mix Coke with Crown and apply it to the internal organs it will relieve pain and increase bravery!! This process can be accomplished in less than 30 minutes if mixed in the correct proportions. Not sure about reducing corrosion???:thumbsup:

A boy from Texas once told me that it makes you howl at the moon.
And see double and feel single.

What I want to know is why phosphoric acid is in Coca-cola in the first place... makes sense every once in a while I drink a coke my teeth feel like they're dissolving (because they basically are)

I tend to use products for their intended purposes.

Everyone needs a hobby and sometimes a man's curiosity motivates him to do unusual things.
Me? I like to write offensive graffitti in a variety of places....In the porty potties at work, on studs, plywood and lumber, A/C ducts, just about anywhere.

Evaporust works fine (good for electrical componites) but it's like a firecracker, one time use. I use a combination (not in order) muriatic acid, phosphoric acid, rust converter, molasses, (I made a 5x8 x4 rubber lined vat) glass beader, ground glass (dry and wet) sand blaster. I've been wanting to make a big vat (stainless) filled with heated lye, (will completely remove paint and rust)
Also made the anode-cathode washing soda vat with the DC charger. Most are time consuming, the muriatic acid is the fastest, rinse, then go back over it with the phosfo to prevent the rust flash.
Many ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:
What I want to know is why phosphoric acid is in Coca-cola in the first place... makes sense every once in a while I drink a coke my teeth feel like they're dissolving (because they basically are)
I think the sugar is even worse. Do you know how sunlight cross-links plastic, making it yellow and brittle? Sugar acts similarly in your body, aging it. A can of Coke contains about 11 teaspoonsfull of sugar. I drank lots of it before I got diabetes, now I don't.

I think the sugar is even worse. Do you know how sunlight cross-links plastic, making it yellow and brittle? Sugar acts similarly in your body, aging it. A can of Coke contains about 11 teaspoonsfull of sugar. I drank lots of it before I got diabetes, now I don't.

Oh yeah preaching to the choir on that one, pretty much all American flavored drinks you can buy have 3-5 times as much sugar as they need to. Our entire country is addicted to sugar and that's not even a joke, it's a real statistic that's been proven with studies.

When I want a tasty carbonated beverage I mix some Cran-grape (or apple, raspberry, etc.) juice 1:1 with club soda. And when I want caffeine I drink good-quality coffee (NOT starbucks). Dr. Pepper still has a place in my heart though LOL sometimes I can't resist

FYI, sodas are terrible for your body. They spike your blood sugar badly, and are made with corn syrup for sweetener which is especially bad. Nothing good about them. I stopped drinking them, lost 15 lbs, and feel much better. If it can clean out the sludge in a car radiator, then its probably not very good to consume.

Back in my truck driving days we used to splash coke on the windshields to eat the bugs off.:thumbsup:

There was a recent thread on using vinegar to remove rust. I commented that soaking rusty parts in Coca-Cola could convert rust to a phosphate coating because Coke contains phosphoric acid. Someone said he tried it and it did not work. I think we are dealing with two issues. First, a chemical reaction takes time to work. Second, the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is very low. I tested some rusty parts (pic 002) for one day (pic 004) and for three days (pic 006)
My picture quality is not good, but if you look at the very rusty piece of pipe you see a big difference after one day and a pretty nice phosphate coat after three days. I wanted to prove my point ....however, ... I would not mess with Coke for rust removal. Buy a product with a high concentration of phosphoric acid designed for the purpose. It will produce a much thicker, harder coating.

View attachment 1715243415

View attachment 1715243416

View attachment 1715243417
A couple of my friends in the Michigan State police department carry a couple big bottles of coke in their cars to use when there is an accident and blood gets everywhere. Cleans it up good they say.. why would I drink something that eats blood off of pavement?

Oh yeah preaching to the choir on that one, pretty much all American flavored drinks you can buy have 3-5 times as much sugar as they need to. Our entire country is addicted to sugar and that's not even a joke, it's a real statistic that's been proven with studies.

When I want a tasty carbonated beverage I mix some Cran-grape (or apple, raspberry, etc.) juice 1:1 with club soda. And when I want caffeine I drink good-quality coffee (NOT starbucks). Dr. Pepper still has a place in my heart though LOL sometimes I can't resist
I agree, though i have found a soda alternative in walmart called clear american. You should check it out. I dig the black cherry flavor. I do love mountain dews though.

-
Back