does it matter which way ?

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
not sure if it matters, to me it dont seem like it, but take a look at the pic, should the hot fluid from the trans flow to the bottom port of the cooler and the cool fuid out to the top or vise versa, or does it not matter? do i make sense??

IMG_2622-1.jpg

You make good sense, heat rises so just like a radiator bring the hot to the top and let the cool leave at the bottom JMO.
It most likely don't matter on a trans cooler, nice install

You make good sense, heat rises so just like a radiator bring the hot to the top and let the cool leave at the bottom JMO.
It most likely don't matter on a trans cooler, nice install

thanks memike. my brother was saying to have it like i got it pictured, because although heat does travel up, so does air bubbles, and to have fluid flow in the bottom and out the top would also alow air bubbles to flow out.....both valid points i would think.. i dont question my brother and i value his opinion, just wondering what some of you guys think and which way yall run urs.. :)

I did not even think about bubbles, I am in no means a tech , I have seen them standing straight up with the lines at the bottom, But yet I have seen a very small loop at the trans for a cooler before, Looked more like a air compressor return line about 1foot long and back and stayed down under the car, remember I seen this in Michigan on a farm truck.

I can't imagine it makes any diff. at all. The ATF is under pressure so there shouldn't be air bubbles in it and it flows so fast heat isn't going to have much of a chance to rise.

:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

okay got it...i have it hooked up like in the picture, but like fishy68 says, if it dont matter, then it dont matter...im leaving it how i got it. ive been dickin around with lines all day. im tired of messin with it....lol

The riseing heat is an aid to help circulation:enters at the bottom and the heat will rise and help push the fluid out the top same as or more used in a radiator.If heat enters the top it will try to work against the flow.But like I said thats in coolant,trans lines probably dont matter as much.

What radiator in what car have you seen the HOT enter at the bottom and flow up?

Ok lets all think for a moment...

Hot fluid , it expands and it has LOW viscocity flowing FASTER or EASIER , so if anything as it gets cooler it gains back some viscosity becomes HIGH viscocity and flows SLOWER...
however this is being pumped....

If you got air bubbles in your trans you got problems.... and the fluid will show you so by looking aerated.

The cooler itself will be full of air when you hook it up

wont all the lines be full of air as well? same for a rebuilt tranny when you just put oil in it.......wheres all the air go? it has to go somewhere no?

wow, i feel like an idiot. but it is 6 in the morning....LOL

What radiator in what car have you seen the HOT enter at the bottom and flow up?
I posted this and left the house and realized the radiator I was thinking about was a unique race application and not the average car.I just now got back to the computer.The hot water enters the top and is cooled by the fan and falls to the bottom which helps the flow in the system.

Sorry if my other post confussed anyone I was in a hurry and it hit me as I was leaving.

thanks memike. my brother was saying to have it like i got it pictured, because although heat does travel up, so does air bubbles, and to have fluid flow in the bottom and out the top would also alow air bubbles to flow out.....both valid points i would think.. i dont question my brother and i value his opinion, just wondering what some of you guys think and which way yall run urs.. :)

I can't imagine it makes any diff. at all. The ATF is under pressure so there shouldn't be air bubbles in it and it flows so fast heat isn't going to have much of a chance to rise.

Fishy is right. IMO, hot up top, cool return down low.

Think not about air bubbles, there being forced out. Perhaps, someone around you has air bubbles in there head and to much time on there hands. LOL

Radiators have reservoirs which will trap air, but all of the oil coolers that I have seen are just one continuous pipe with cooling fins on it. That being said there will be no trapped air and I can't see much difference in flowing it either way.

So hot in the top cold out the bottom, should allow for cooling flow even when the car is shut off.

haha, guess my brother is an air head!! LOL yep, thanks every one...ill let ya know how it works out for me. :)

-james

You guys are confusing expansion of water and psi for that of oil and psi...

the trans does not use a cooler the same way a radiator is being used....

It is a continuous flow and gets cooled as much as possible before returning to the trans...

This is why being stuck in the sand/mud/snow KILLS transmissions, there is no real cooling for it, it is a best you can get run thru design there is no real way to regulate and cool a trans without a very involved liquid to liquid exchanger

You can put it top, bottom, sideways, backwards, whateverwards. . . .

Doesn't make alot of difference IMO. I've ran them either way with no problems. FYI, I grabbed a transcooler from a late 90's Grand Cherokee for a whopping $2 at a yard. These are way better than most of the flimsy aftermarket things at the parts store.
Looks cool in the black with the Mopar logo decal on it to!!

-
Back