Does one use the factory A/C box when restoring a '65 Barracuda A/C ?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
This '65 Formula S was equipped with factory A/ C but missing most underhood parts. I was wondering how one goes about restoring the A/C in a case like this? Throw everything out and start over with a complete aftermarket system or use the Mopar A/C box and adapt it to the aftermarket parts? Thank you.

This '65 Formula S was equipped with factory A/ C but missing most underhood parts. I was wondering how one goes about restoring the A/C in a case like this? Throw everything out and start over with a complete aftermarket system or use the Mopar A/C box and adapt it to the aftermarket parts? Thank you.

I was going classic air but couldn't find anything that would work for my application. (66 dart /6 with power steering)
I'm doing a similar restoration on my dart. I'm using factory parts for the in cabin stuff and aftermarket in the underhood areas.
I have a parallel flow condenser. 134a style hoses adapted to the original evaporator core fittings late model sanden conpressor . I'm still scrounging for a mount for the /6 . I did have to modify my non A/C car in the blower motor area and the bulkhead connector had to rotate 90 degrees to help clear the gas pedal(switched from rod to cable) and the lower heat vents.

In my 65 Dart wagon (original slant/904 changing to a 273 HiPo/A500), original non-AC car, one of my must haves was to have AC. To meet that goal I have swapped out the non-AC firewall for an early A AC firewall. I wanted it to look pretty much stock under the hood so I bought a complete setup from another member. I am also using all the stock components under/in the dash. Even when a dealer installed a knee knocker they still used a lot of the factory components under the hood - for example the stock (and now hard-to-find) horizontal drier that’s mounted on top of the passenger inner fender. All this being said if you are going for a true restoration, I would use original components if at all possible - they fit like they’re supposed to, hoses don’t need to be fabricated and everything looks stock.

I do have the original horizontal dryer, which is a start. I was just reading online last week about someone who "rebuilds" the older receiver/dryer, but can not remember now who that was.

The five buttom dash control needs some work, the little vacuum hose connection nipples turned to dust when I tried to disassemble it. I thought (a long time ago now) I read somewhere that someone knows how to repair those switches.

The original factory A/C box is superior to the aftermarket replacements in one important way - fresh air. The factory boxes connect to the plenum (cowl), and usually have a damper that will control between recirculation and fresh air. Most aftermarket boxes require you blank off the opening and rely on 100% recirculated air. Our old cars are not exactly tight, so for many the lack of an outside air connection is not a big deal. Most aftermarket companies do support the original boxes by offering new hoses that will connect to the original evaporator. Detroit Muscle technologies offers re-gasketing kits for the boxes.

The flip side is - the box and all it's little linkages, actuators, vac diaphragm, etc need to be in good condition. The vacuum switch on the dash occasionally leaks internally, the B and C bodies use a vacuum time delay to run the compressor for 10 minutes in "Defrost" that can get stuck. As long as the car wasn't left outside too long abandoned, the AC boxes are usually in good shape.

Demonic
(Industrial HVAC Pro)

My '70 300 had all the underhood A/C bits and pieces missing.

I used stuff from these guys: Products: Air Conditioning - Bouchillon Performance Engineering to replace all the missing underhood stuff and then utilized the existing pieces in the car.

ac condenser kits - Bouchillon Performance Engineering will get you the condenser, hoses, dryer etc.

You'll need the brackets to mount the Sanden style compressor Products: AirCon Compressor Brackets - Bouchillon Performance Engineering and a compressor ac compressors - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

I also bought a vacuum pump and gauges from Harbor Fright so I could fill the system myself.

Having never really done any A/C work, I was apprehensive about doing this myself, but it turned out well and was easier than I thought it would be. I'm very pleased with the results.

Give them a call. Really nice, knowledgeable people to deal with.

I do have the original horizontal dryer, which is a start. I was just reading online last week about someone who "rebuilds" the older receiver/dryer, but can not remember now who that was.

That would be Classic Air down in Tampa FL. I’ve had 2 rebuilt for me. They are still capped until they get installed and connected to the rest of the system.

The five buttom dash control needs some work, the little vacuum hose connection nipples turned to dust when I tried to disassemble it. I thought (a long time ago now) I read somewhere that someone knows how to repair those switches.

I have read the same thing; I have several switches in the same condition. I’ll snoop around and see if I can find the info since I need it as well.

Those 5 button switches can be bought new. I got one through the local parts store a couple years ago. I'm not sure why people spend the time and money to patch one up. EBay usually has a few NOS switches also.

I have read that electrically speaking, they are different internally even if the exterior terminals are in the same location. Something must have changed on them either externally or internally for the part number to have changed in IIRC 67.

Found an HVAC control switch on the internet OER brand for about $130.00 The image looks exactly like the factory switch.

I know the whole system now..... I have many of the required parts, no lines though or compressors, but mostly everything even ac wire harness for 66 barracuda.

I was going classic air but couldn't find anything that would work for my application. (66 dart /6 with power steering)
I'm doing a similar restoration on my dart. I'm using factory parts for the in cabin stuff and aftermarket in the underhood areas.
I have a parallel flow condenser. 134a style hoses adapted to the original evaporator core fittings late model sanden conpressor . I'm still scrounging for a mount for the /6 . I did have to modify my non A/C car in the blower motor area and the bulkhead connector had to rotate 90 degrees to help clear the gas pedal(switched from rod to cable) and the lower heat vents.
I have a factory air car all the under hood stuff can be had year1 bpe,

-
Back