Does Parking Brake Release when in gear?

-

Jax_1975_Dart

Reaction score
I was checking out some of the interior knobs (exterior lights) and etc on my new to me 1975 Dart Sport. Long story short: I pulled the parking brake level under the dash/instrument panel and, can’t find any parking brake release lever or button... Is it possible the ‘75 Dart Sport’s emergency brakes automatically disengage when shifting out from Park (for reverse or Drive)? I feel like an idiot for asking and, wasn’t able to figure this out in the garage today. Car is on jack stands and has been stored for 20+ years... I wasn’t able to shift into gear but, plan on trying this next time I able. Any thoughts or experience is very welcomed! Thanks!

If the handle is like a "T" to the left of the steering column, rotate it counter clockwise

Never saw them with that feature usually a handle on the lower art of the dash above the e brake petal.

Thank you! It is precisely a “T” pull out lever (to the left of the steering column). I feel so dumb for asking something so basic like this! Thanks again!

Thank you! It is precisely a “T” pull out lever (to the left of the steering column). I feel so dumb for asking something so basic like this! Thanks again!
Better off asking questions than breaking something. Been there.............done that! :rofl:

Never saw them with that feature usually a handle on the lower art of the dash above the e brake petal
What a bodies have you been driving?. I have never seen an a-body without a hand pull parking brake. I think some of the big cars of the time had foot activated ones

Might have been a c body with that, not really sure. Man way to many to even think of had them over 40 years.

For what it’s worth, I mostly work with restoring B bodies (GTX’s, Road Runners, Satellites and etc..). Most of the 68’-70’ B bodies have a “release” lever close to the driver’s kicker panel/under the dash). I think I’ve also seen a few with a floor board circular foot stomper/pedal device - for releasing the parking brake. That’s why I turned to this forum. I knew someone here could set the record straight and explain the “twist the level” A body specific technic. Thanks all!

Some C Bodies had a vacuum release, when you pulled the gear selector into gear it would automatically disengage, That system had a small lever mounted high up that you could hit with your toes

Now that you applied it, better check that it fully released. Dont want a dragging brake...

What a bodies have you been driving?. I have never seen an a-body without a hand pull parking brake. I think some of the big cars of the time had foot activated ones
In 1976 model year, all A-Bodies went from the hand pull E-Brake to the foot push style by the left kick panel like the B-Bodies had.

Some C Bodies had a vacuum release, when you pulled the gear selector into gear it would automatically disengage, That system had a small lever mounted high up that you could hit with your toes

So did some Fords/ Lincolns. I used to think (still do) that this is dangerous.

-
Back