Does pulley size alter boost in P/S pumps?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a bent pulley on my power steering pump and I need to replace it. I have several core quality pumps here that have useable parts. I am tempted to use a smaller pulley though because my car steers with greater effort than I prefer. I have the stage 3 Firm Feel chuck and fast ratio arms. Everything is working properly, I just want slightly more boost.
I'm aware that a smaller pulley results in more RPMs in the pump. Most rebuilt alternators have a small pulley. Some people use a smaller water pump pulley to speed up coolant flow. I wasn't sure about the the P/S pump though. I was thinking that maybe it reaches its boost limit at a moderate RPM and any additional RPMs make no difference.

heading a smaller pulley will not give you any more assist. to get more assist you will need to modify your pressure reducing valve. that is the little valve behind a fitting for your power steering pressure output . there was an article in I believe it was Mopar Performance describing how to modify that valve by adding or taking away shims. I would first advice to check with you firm feel to find out what the maximum pressure there box will take.

-
Back