Doesn't appear to be getting fuel

-

phaelax

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago, I drove my '73 duster with no issues. The following weekend I got a few blocks and the car cut out. I had to pump the gas many times before attempting to start to get it running but it would cut out almost immediately once in gear. I can idle fine and it revs up smoothly if in park/neutral. But once in gear I only move half a block at best before it stalls.

The carb is a quickfuel and practically brand new, maybe a few thousand miles on it. Ignition system was redone this past fall, ditching the old ballast for an msd 6AL and new coil, plugs, and wires. The fuel filter itself isn't that old either. I'm thinking the fuel pump might be the culprit because I'm not really seeing any fuel from the carb's sight glass. I don't have a gauge on hand to check fuel pressure, but what should the psi be?

Simply put, engine seems fine at idle but stalls when in gear.

About 3 weeks ago, I drove my '73 duster with no issues. The following weekend I got a few blocks and the car cut out. I had to pump the gas many times before attempting to start to get it running but it would cut out almost immediately once in gear. I can idle fine and it revs up smoothly if in park/neutral. But once in gear I only move half a block at best before it stalls.

The carb is a quickfuel and practically brand new, maybe a few thousand miles on it. Ignition system was redone this past fall, ditching the old ballast for an msd 6AL and new coil, plugs, and wires. The fuel filter itself isn't that old either. I'm thinking the fuel pump might be the culprit because I'm not really seeing any fuel from the carb's sight glass. I don't have a gauge on hand to check fuel pressure, but what should the psi be?

Simply put, engine seems fine at idle but stalls when in gear.

Do you have access to a glass fuel filter? Cheap and easy way to determine if fuel is getting to carb. When was the last time you checked the filter sock on the end of the gas tank pickup? If you have a restriction in the gas line or a bent line it could possibly cause this problem. When was the last time the car ran properly? What have you done to it since? Fuel pressure should be 5-7 psi.

Is it squirting? Sounds like ignition.

Quickfuels are basically holleys...real easy to set the floats at

I would start by raising them and see what that does

Also, crawl under there and inspect the jumper hose from the pick up to the fuel line
It can collapse and stop the fuel supply, or Crack in which case you end up sucking air

Is the tank vented or vent system functional? what is the age of the filter on the end of the pick up? Original tank or replaced?

Is it squirting? Sounds like ignition.
Hard to see, but the spray looks very light to me. But I couldn't see fuel in the bowl either after shaking the car.

Do you have access to a glass fuel filter? Cheap and easy way to determine if fuel is getting to carb. When was the last time you checked the filter sock on the end of the gas tank pickup? If you have a restriction in the gas line or a bent line it could possibly cause this problem. When was the last time the car ran properly? What have you done to it since? Fuel pressure should be 5-7 psi.
I originally had a clear filter, that was changed to a metal one a few years ago when engine was replaced. The car ran fine the week before this problem started, another reason I didn't think carb adjustment is needed. I've done nothing to the car since last time it ran. I drove it around town, came home and parked it in the garage. Took it out the following weekend and didn't get but a few blocks.

I think fuel isn't getting to the carb. I'll see if I can pick up a clear fuel filter from the store tonight. It's cheap enough I don't mind replacing even if the current one might be good. If that checks out, I'll look at adjusting the floats.

i dont think you get what he means with "squirting"

look at the "pump shot" in this video

that wont happen on an empty bowl

you know, there are ways to test the fuel pump
simply fill the bowl of the carb with gas and disconnect the fuel line
route the fuel line into a cannister and fire up the car
let it run for a measured amount of time...30 or 60 seconds

then measure the amount of fuel in the cannister and times it by 60 (if you ran it for a minute) or 120 (if you ran it for 30 seconds) and you got you GPH fuel pump output

of course, if there is no fuel output it could mean a number of things
the jumper hose i mentioned before

the can eccentric could have come off

the pump itself could have failed

the sock on the pick up could be clogged

the fuel gauge could be faulty and the tank could be dry

Ok, replaced filter and it seems like it comes in spurts, no idea if that’s typical or not. Once the car warmed up the problem started. Fuel at the sight glass was fine at first, but once the stalling started, I noticed the floats lowered and I can no longer see any fuel (rocked it back n forth).

https://youtube.com/shorts/fOPWxZWyVG0

Ok, replaced filter and it seems like it comes in spurts, no idea if that’s typical or not. Once the car warmed up the problem started. Fuel at the sight glass was fine at first, but once the stalling started, I noticed the floats lowered and I can no longer see any fuel (rocked it back n forth).

You are not getting enough fuel. Ok , disconnect the inlet line from the fuel pump and run a rubber hose into a gas container.
This will help eliminate the fuel tank and the gas lines as problem areas . If the gas filter fills up properly running from a gas can, you know the problem is not the fuel pump. Then reconnect the fuel line to the fuel pump and disconnect the gas line at the fuel tank and connect the rubber to it and feed the other end into the gas can. Running ok now? The problem is in the tank , possibly a clogged fuel inlet in the sending unit.

I know the sending unit was replaced a few years ago, it was leaking when I went to get the exhaust done and we replaced it then. But I'll try your suggestion and report back.

Should the fuel filter appear to be full all the time? (thats what I'd think to expect)

Fuel filters never lose the air lock. How old is your fuel pump and what fuels have you been running that may have deteriorated the rubber diaphram. My car died one day after slowing to take a corner. I figured I'd jammed a float as it started back up and the Wife and I cruised 100 miles and made it back home. Next day it wouldn't start, no fuel. Piece of the diaphragm holding the check valve open..
beefuelpumpissue 056.JPG
beefuelpumpissue 057.JPG

Vapor lock? If the fuel is boiling, vapor pressure beyond the pump can become higher than the pump relief. Liquid fuel wont flow again until enough pressure escapes through bowl vent, etc...
I've watched a see through filter mounted horizontally at the carb empty and fill with liquid fuel in cycles after engine is good and hot. Thicker base gasket under carb and later model fuel line with filler vertically down near the pump cured it. Real gasoline helped also. Todays common unleaded seems to boil faster.

I know the sending unit was replaced a few years ago, it was leaking when I went to get the exhaust done and we replaced it then. But I'll try your suggestion and report back.

Should the fuel filter appear to be full all the time? (thats what I'd think to expect)

Yes, you should see the fuel filter full .

I only ever put 93 premium in the tank. I'm not sure about the fuel pump age, I can't recall if its the same one from my old engine or not. I have to go fix the chimney on my house first, big storm the other night ripped the top off and a few bricks.....

did you check to jumper i mentioned?
No not yet.

You are not getting enough fuel. Ok , disconnect the inlet line from the fuel pump and run a rubber hose into a gas container.
At first, it seemed like the filter filled up. After running about 5min I shut off and let the gas drain back out and restarted, never really filled back up again. The amount of fuel I saw in the filter seemed inconsistent, more so as the engine warms up. It only stalled once, but before it was mainly happening when in gear and I can't really test that with a gas can.

So possibly still the fuel pump or vapor lock as Redfish explained also sounds plausible right now.

Sounds like the diaphragm in the pump might be weak, or gone. As mentioned, take the line off at the carburetor & put it in a fuel can, then have someone turn the starter over & see what you have fuel wise.

Sounds like the diaphragm in the pump might be weak, or gone. As mentioned, take the line off at the carburetor & put it in a fuel can, then have someone turn the starter over & see what you have fuel wise.

I think I agree. I had a pump go bad. When I put the inlet on a vacuum gauge and pumped it by hand, it would show suction, then it would not hold the vacuum. It could move fuel, as long as there was no air in the line. Once it was empty, it couldn't really move anything along.

On the new pump, it held vacuum between pumps.

I guess you can disconnect the inlet to the pump, and put a vac gauge on it, and see what it does after a few cranks.

I haven't had time to do anything further since last week, but I'm going to remove the pump and look at it. They're not super expensive (well, i guess the shiny ones from summit is)

-
Back