Dome Brake Light fuse blowing

-

KJoeZ61

Reaction score
My dome light fuse has blown 3x now on my 71 Scamp. Can't see any signs of what is causing it, everything will be fine then out it goes. Needless to say my main concern is the brake lights. Okay so for the fun of it I replaced the brake light bulbs and everything seemed fine. I drove it around the development with the four ways on so I could see if the fuse would blow and it didn't. But when I turned the car off the four ways quit and the brake lights wouldn't work. Turned the four ways off and the brake light works.

Start by looking in your service manual to determine "what all" is on that fuse

You can download them free at MyMopar

I'd pull the back seat and inspect where the harness goes under the seat, inspect the rear trunk area harness for damage.

If you "really really" can't find this, there was a tool you could buy called a "short finder." Essentially it is a circuit breaker that you use to replace the fuse. It has a magnetic meter that you move along the harness. The short area will show a reading on the meter from the magnetic field

An intermittent like this might be difficult

Yeah I already pulled the back seat, kick panel, sill plate and don't see anything. I shook and looked at everything. Pulled the steering wheel. I see no signs of where it's shorting out. The brake lights, dome light and hazard lights are all on this circuit. I drove it again tonight and it still hasn't blown a fuse. The only thing I did was replace the brake light bulbs.

You might take a REAL good look inside the sockets. Maybe one of the springs/ insulators/ pigtails is AFU

If fuses get too expensive, there is a small breaker you can install in place of a round glass fuse. It will reset when it cools. Those were often needed on the blower motor circuit.

-
Back