Dome Lamp in 1964 Valiant Convertible

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Slowly putting my 1964 convertible back together after years of sitting. As in most, the dash wiring was pretty hacked up and not sure what parts were missing or I misplaced, but did try to carefully label and bag everything and just polishing off a few things. I have a "map light" housing which was under-dash to left of the glovebox. It has no bulb holder, but that is a 0.75"D hole the same as the license lamp which was also missing its bulb holder and I have a new one coming ($5 ebay), so will just order another.

In this thread (Map light switch), post #7 states that the "map light" serves as the "dome light", which explains why I find no switch. The yellow wires from the door switches (ground to light the bulb) route thru the headlight switch (terminal "D") and the power feed is from headlight switch (terminal "B-2"). As in hardtop cars, those 2 wires to the dome lamp end in a 2-terminal connector in the driver's kick panel. There should be a mating connector with pink and yellow wires run over to the map/dome light, but is missing in my car. I don't recall removing them, but I have parts to fabricate one. My question is if my understanding is correct.

BTW, in hardtop cars, the map light gets power from the cigarette lighter circuit (always hot).

Another question: post #1 above mentions "rear interior lights in back floor board area" for a 1968 convertible. I don't see any parts or provision for that in mine, so was that only in later years?

Thanks in advance for anyone who has been "in there" and remembers.

Not sure if this helps any, but in my 1963 Dart 270 convertible there are no rear interior lights nor any signs such ever been there.

-
Back