Dome light stays on all the time

-
Sorry forgot to add I turned the light on and off at the switch.
Anyone know what might be causing the door switches no power also

Anyone know what might be causing the door switches no power also
if i'm not mistaken the door switches complete the dome light cir to ground so if you have a ground in the cir keeping the lights on there would be 0 volts at the door switches.

Have you done anything to the the car lately?

Also... What car, year, accessories, do you have dome lights that stay on for a few seconds after the door is shut?

On 67 dart at least...

upload_2018-5-20_15-5-26.png

Sorry forgot to add I turned the light on and off at the switch.
when you say you turned the light on and off at the switch do you mean you rotated the light switch to all the way clock wise and all the way counter clockwise?

Maybe the switch is bad
could be.
If you pull the connector from the back of the light switch and have all the doors closed there should be infinite ohms ( ie open cir) to ground on the equivalent of M2 on the dome light wiring

(i'm going out on a limb here assuming the 74 and 67 wiring is mostly the same)

If the wiring is the same all that is needed to make the dome lights stay on is a short to ground in one of the wires going to the door switches, a damaged door switch, or the headlight switch is defective.

if you disconnect the door switch wiring and the headlight switch connector you should have an open cir to ground in the door switch wire if it is 0 ohms ( ie shorted) there is something else making the ground.

I seem to recall that some cars had a timer relay that would keep the dome lights on for a few seconds after the doors were shut.

The door switches are very-corroded I cleaned the contacts up however there is no power on either terminal coming into the switch

Yes the door switches have two wires, the wires on the driver side go down the a large connector, the purple wire on that. Connector is the only wire that has power.
The switch on drivers side has three wires

Make sure it has the correct double contact bulb. It MUST BE a 1004 bulb

Also CHECK the bulb with a meter to make sure it is not shorted to ground. Check each base contact to the bulb shell. Both base contacts should be open/ infinite to the shell

41rR7S3P9fL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Unplug both door switches and remove the delay relay and then see what happens.

Alan

look for something that looks like a horn relay, will be (should be) screwed down.

Alan

-
Back