dome light

-

MOUSE

Reaction score
switch.jpg
on my head light switch I have 2 wires coming out for the dome and door. WHY. Are they to be wired together , separate , just use one ? Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a diagram that I pulled off of FABO...Thanks. Where the door switch and the dome feed meet in the pic, IIRC thats the 2 wires coming from the switch. When the door switch closes (grounded), the circuit turns on the dome. The the dial is rotated, that closes the path to ground since the switch body is grounded, and the dome comes on. That's the way I read the diagram anyway. Maybe @67Dart273 can confirm.

wiring diag1.png

I have 2 wires coming out for the dome and door. WHY. Are they to be wired together , separate , just use one ?
Because it was an easy way to make a junction.
The yellow is the return side of the dome (and courtesy) lamps.
If any switch on that part of the circuit closes, the path to ground is complete.

When the door switch closes (grounded), the circuit turns on the dome. The the dial is rotated, that closes the path to ground since the switch body is grounded, and the dome comes on. That's the way I read the diagram anyway.
Correct.

.........Or to try (TRY) to simplify this further, and if you have no map light or delay, all the yellows in the dome/ courtesy circuit are to the switches which are in the GROUND leg. The yellows at the light switch are grounded by the light switch when "twisted left" and when either door is open, that switch grounds the yellow line

.........Or to try (TRY) to simplify this further, and if you have no map light or delay, all the yellows in the dome/ courtesy circuit are to the switches which are in the GROUND leg. The yellows at the light switch are grounded by the light switch when "twisted left" and when either door is open, that switch grounds the yellow line
I think I get it. Kinda

I think I get it. Kinda
try this version.

The dome light is connected to the battery by the pink wire.
upload_2022-1-15_21-45-48.png

The headlight switch is actually several switches. The one to turn on the dome lights is not related to the others. It just happens to be located there.

Open a door, the switch closes.
upload_2022-1-15_21-55-58.png

Circuit complete and the light turns on.

Are you in the middle of rewiring? No offense but I hope you're not driving it with wires like that.
I'm redoing our 67 harness, see the double yellow? Stretches all the way over to pass side door light switch.
You HAVE TO get a schematic for your specific car. Go to mymopar.com and download it for free. No excuses and dont kid yourself either you do or you will need it. Sorry, trying to emphasize.
Good luck

20220115_215606.jpg

20220115_215637.jpg

20220115_215631.jpg

Here is a diagram that I pulled off of FABO...Thanks. Where the door switch and the dome feed meet in the pic, IIRC thats the 2 wires coming from the switch. When the door switch closes (grounded), the circuit turns on the dome. The the dial is rotated, that closes the path to ground since the switch body is grounded, and the dome comes on. That's the way I read the diagram anyway. Maybe @67Dart273 can confirm.

View attachment 1715853620
I have this but it shows 1 wire
Are you in the middle of rewiring? No offense but I hope you're not driving it with wires like that.
I'm redoing our 67 harness, see the double yellow? Stretches all the way over to pass side door light switch.
You HAVE TO get a schematic for your specific car. Go to mymopar.com and download it for free. No excuses and dont kid yourself either you do or you will need it. Sorry, trying to emphasize.
Good luck

View attachment 1715853681

View attachment 1715853682

View attachment 1715853683

LOL. I'm on the tail end of wiring. The car has all 4 wheels of the ground and there isn't even fluid in anything yet. Hell as you can see there's no room for my feet.
try this version.

The dome light is connected to the battery by the pink wire.
View attachment 1715853665
The headlight switch is actually several switches. The one to turn on the dome lights is not related to the others. It just happens to be located there.

Open a door, the switch closes.
View attachment 1715853679
Circuit complete and the light turns on.

Thats what I was looking for . Thanks you .

On the wiring diagram I have it shows the yellow wires going to a block . I no longer have a block because I used a completely different wiring harness. I understand how the switch works , I just wanted to know how to hook up the 2 wires . I have a wiring diagram but like I said it just shows 1 wire going to a block . As you can tell electrical is not my thing.

Good luck

View attachment 1715853681

View attachment 1715853682

View attachment 1715853683
Now my door switch has 2 connectors to each. is one ground ?

Your door switch only has 1 wire to each. 2 doors=2 switches.
nope , It has 2 wires on each door activator. That's where I'm confused. Someone else said I should only have one but there is 2 and it came from the factory like that. 70 dart . Nothing I have shows 2 wires.

I think the 2 wires are associated with the map light or possibly the delay timer You don't really need that

-
Back