Door Doesn't Want to Close All the Way

-

zephyr

Reaction score
Having a problem closing my driver's door on my 65 Dart. I've tried adjusting the striker plate and the hinges, no change. I'm thinking its the latch but that seems to be working. When I close my door, it latches but has about a 1/2 inch gap. It will close fully if I push on it but then it pops open a half inch. The latch operates with the button to open. Any ideas? It doesn't seem like anything is obstructing it.

Having a problem closing my driver's door on my 65 Dart. I've tried adjusting the striker plate and the hinges, no change. I'm thinking its the latch but that seems to be working. When I close my door, it latches but has about a 1/2 inch gap. It will close fully if I push on it but then it pops open a half inch. The latch operates with the button to open. Any ideas? It doesn't seem like anything is obstructing it.
I was having a similar problem on my 70 Duster, it turned out the rubber seal that goes around the front of the door was loose and was wedging against the front of the door jamb. Probably not the same problem, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Push it in slowly. How many times does the latch click? It should click twice. If not, put a latch on it.

You can check latch operation with door open, screw driver, extention, something in hand. If it works 2 clicks there, the striker post should work it too.

Along with what RustyRatRod said, "if you only hear one click of the latch" the striker post on the door jamb may need to be adjusted towards the outside of the car a bit to let that second click of the latch happen.
Generally the latch mechanism in the door and the post on the body are the main things that have to do with that.
Lube the part in the door first with a spray of your choice.
(2 clicks, and if not adjust the post out a little)
It might take some playing with.

-
Back