Door Handle Removal

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO, I can't beleive I have to ask this but I'm not having any luck. I've used the search function here, but cant find an answer.
I'm prepping the doors from a 1970 Duster for paint. Can someone walk me through how to remove the outer push-button door handle and key lock tumbler? Do I need to remove the glass?
Thanks in advance.

You don't have to remove the glass but it does make it easier. If not removed it must be in the "up" position to allow access to the two 7/16" nuts holding the handle on. I've worked on some where, even with the glass in the up position you are limited to a hand wrench because you don't have a clear shot at the nut with a socket. On the key lock I've found it easier to remove the actuating lever from the door handle first and remove the lock cylinder with lever arm together after removing the horseshoe retaining clip. My two cents.

You don't have to remove the glass but it does make it easier. If not removed it must be in the "up" position to allow access to the two 7/16" nuts holding the handle on. I've worked on some where, even with the glass in the up position you are limited to a hand wrench because you don't have a clear shot at the nut with a socket. On the key lock I've found it easier to remove the actuating lever from the door handle first and remove the lock cylinder with lever arm together after removing the horseshoe retaining clip. My two cents.
Aawesome, thanks for the help.

-
Back