Door hinge interchange? Darts, mainly

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

As a little gift, I'm taking a trip to a collector of old Dodge and Plymouth cars, mostly the late '60s to late '70s. I've already arranged to pick up a set of doors for my project, and I'll be looking for hinges, too. I'm looking to replace the lower hinges on my '75 Dart Sport, as they have so much wear and play that there doesn't look like there's enough "meat" to drill out for a larger pin. Now, just in case I can't find decent, rebuildable hinges from a 2 door Dart Sport, I'm wondering if other cars has the same hinges? I mean, I figured if maybe the 4 door Darts or Valiants had them, especially in the rear, they would have less wear.

Any input? Oh, and I know about MoparLeo (excellent work, from what I've seen) I am also 98% certain that my lowers are too far gone, even for your magic. Just short of welding the holes closed and redrilling, I think they're toast. Heck, even then I'd need a decent set of hinges as a guide for drilling and alignment...

Anyway, thank you all for your time and continued expertise!

I know Richard Ehrenberg from Mopar Action Magazine was selling new lower hinges for $35 each a few years ago, don't know if he has any left now...

...........And Ram vans (pics are 1996) with a minor tweak. As shown in the pics, the 3rd hole is enlarged to 3/4. I think I pirated these from @moparmat2000

96 ram van after .75 hole.jpg

96 ram van hinges before.jpg

Yes but same body for rebuild if looking for hinges with no wear.. Usually Pass. sides have less wear

Okay, I looked at the Dorman, specifically, and they only offer one side, I'm assuming because they expect you to flip it for the other side. Their pins seem to have an e-clip to hold it in. The original Mopar hinges - the outer part of the hinge is drilled differently for the pin orientation, right?

At any rate, I appreciate the input! It would be easier for me to find 90s trucks and vans in my area, so that helps.

IIRC, the holes are the same. The pin is held in the outer part with knurling right below the head. It is pressed into the outer 1/2 of the shell. Maybe @Oldmanmopar can confirm this.
Thanks for that. I also wonder how much real world difference it would make to mount one upside down; that is, if there's any real danger of the pin working itself loose? Not that I intend to do so, just curious. I realize that from an engineering perspective, they designed them a certain way to avoid ALL chance of them falling out, but if there's any actual danger of it happening.

Thanks for that. I also wonder how much real world difference it would make to mount one upside down; that is, if there's any real danger of the pin working itself loose? Not that I intend to do so, just curious. I realize that from an engineering perspective, they designed them a certain way to avoid ALL chance of them falling out, but if there's any actual danger of it happening.
To avoid that scenario, you could simply tack weld the end of the pin and send it. I wouldn't think twice about it after that.

To avoid that scenario, you could simply tack weld the end of the pin and send it. I wouldn't think twice about it after that.
I think I would just try inverting the pin first, but yeah, by the time it wears out, what's a little bit of grinding to get the pin out? :)

I believe the pins are hardened and the hinges are not. I would think pressing the pin out would not cause damage to the knurling, and installing it from the opposite direction would put the knurling into some "fresh meat".

The lower hinge is '66-76 A-body, '66-70 B-body, and '72-up Dodge pickup/Ramcharger/Trail Duster. The upper hinge is '67-76 A-body. These are front door only. The rear doors use a different hinge.

I believe the pins are hardened and the hinges are not. I would think pressing the pin out would not cause damage to the knurling, and installing it from the opposite direction would put the knurling into some "fresh mea

I believe the pins are hardened and the hinges are not. I would think pressing the pin out would not cause damage to the knurling, and installing it from the opposite direction would put the knurling into some "fresh meat".
Yup, just knock out the pin and flip it over if you need to change sides. I can probably come up with a decent pair if you can't find anything closer.

Those are van hinges.

Yes they are.

But other than the one hole being different as already mentioned, they replace the A-body lower hinge just fine. Not correct, but perfectly functional.

Just another option for dealing with a worn out door hinge.

-
Back