Door Hinge Rebuild Help

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
It was all going so well...

I purchased the door hinge rebuild kit from Restorations by Rick. Awesome kit, I might add! I would highly recommend. 2 day shipping and the whole thing was done in 20 mins.

Well, almost done in 20 mins. On the last lower hinge, I was greasing the detent rollers and when I turned the "star washer" it just crumbled.

I was so close to being done!

So, now I'm hoping that someone will be able to tell me where I can buy a new star washer. If I leave it as-is, I'm guessing that I will just lose the ability to have the door propped half open AND fully open. Correct? Or is there some door alignment support provided by these detent rollers?
Here's a pic...

20200215_002017.jpg

Thanks FABO!

I was thinking rick sold those as well but maybe not. They only serve to hold the door open and don’t control alignment at all. Maybe just find an old hinge with a good one on it to use to replace your broken one. Grind the end that is swaged flush remove the pin replace the detent roller and weld the pin in.

Last edited:
Mopar Leo restores door hinges. I mean AMAZING work!! EVERYTHING is new minus the actual metal brackets.

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying not to have to buy a whole new hinge, if I can help it. I'm hoping a member here has one that I can poach the roller from.

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying not to have to buy a whole new hinge, if I can help it. I'm hoping a member here has one that I can poach the roller from.
He actually re-uses your same hinge brackets and just replaces everything on them. He actually has a guy that makes all new parts specifically for these hinges

I think I may have one let me check if so I’ll mail it to you

Amazing, a rebuild in 20 minutes. Takes me almost of a day and I have been rebuilding Mopar hinges for 25 years. You must be talking about just a "pin rebuild". Here is what a rebuild kit would look like if I sold one, which I don't. You need special reamers and welding equipment etc... to do it completely. Anyway, give me a shipping address and I will send you a couple. It will cost $3.00 shipping.
Thanks. I will send you some info in case you ever need a complete service done. Nobody does them anymore that I am aware of. Just me.
Thanks
Leo

hinge parts.jpg

Amazing, a rebuild in 20 minutes. Takes me almost of a day and I have been rebuilding Mopar hinges for 25 years. You must be talking about just a "pin rebuild". Here is what a rebuild kit would look like if I sold one, which I don't. You need special reamers and welding equipment etc... to do it completely. Anyway, give me a shipping address and I will send you a couple. It will cost $3.00 shipping.
Thanks. I will send you some info in case you ever need a complete service done. Nobody does them anymore that I am aware of. Just me.
Thanks
Leo

View attachment 1715472740
Totally satisfied customer here! The hinges I got from you Leo are better than new!!!

Thanks
Leo

Thanks Leo, that is a huge help.
Can you PM me your PayPal info? I'll get the shipping money and address to you.
As far as the rebuild I did, I have the doors off the car but the hinges are still on. I punched out the pin in the top hinge and then the bushings. Tapped in the new bushings, pumped some grease into the hole and then drove in the new pin to hold the swivel piece, that bolts to the door, on the base.
After that, I moved to the bottom. Used a thick screwdriver to relieve pressure on the "S" spring, one good whack with the hammer and it dropped out of the bottom. Drove out the hinge and bushings. Took the piece that connects to the door and secured it in the vice. Reamed out the pin holes and then reamed out the holes on the piece still attached to the car. Shot a tiny bit of grease into where the star washer rolls.
Then repeated the same process on the other side. I only put one back on, because I was trying to figure out what to do about the broken star washer on the other hinge.
So, yes, I did not grind out the small pin for the wavy washer and rollers, and weld in new ones. Maybe what I did was just a pin rebuild.
When I went to the shop, my wife had just started some reality show she watches. When I came back in, it was just about to end. Those shows are 48 mins long, so that was how long it took, including pulling tools and cleaning up.
I must have gotten lucky with hinges that weren't abused. Everything came apart and went together pretty smoothly.

View attachment 1715472740

-
Back