Door lock cylinder replacement

-

Bl1zzard

Reaction score
What is the secret to replacing door lock cylinders? I had to buy a new set, cause the driver door lock fell out. But I'll be damned if I can figure out how to maneuver the new lock on to the linkage. There must a be a trick to it, I'm not seeing it. Any advice is most welcome as always.

Oh yeah, 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger.

Thanks,

Blizzard

There should be a link from the lock cylinder to the latch mechanism. The lock cylinder held in place by a big "C" clip.

74 has a different "C" clip that includes a shield to deter a slim jim

IIRC

It's a bit more difficult to get on.

Sometimes you have to put the linkage in the cylinder hole with it almost upside down, and then rotate it around until it lines up with the hole.

Thanks guys, I did search last night but didn't find that post 4spdragtop. Sometimes you gotta use the right words. :)
Anyway, I knew about the C clip because the old one was sitting in the bottom of the door. The part I'm having trouble with is where YY1 was going with. I tried every angle I could but I just can't get the linkage to pop into that damn little hole on the cylinder. Cut my hand up pretty good trying to get it in, gave up had to find a rag to stop the bleeding. There must be a trick to it that I'm just not getting, guys remove these all the time to paint their cars right?

-
Back