door pins and door seal differences between 72 and 74

-

Loggato

Reaction score
Good morning, There's a couple of things to unpack here. the car - 74 duster.

First is when I was putting my car back together after paint, on the drivers side, the lower hinge pin was wayyy too small for the hinge (bought a new pin kit) This tells me the door hinge was probably from something different. Does anyone know what models or years has the bigger pins?

Next is door seals. I somehow ordered the wrong one and the bulk ends with the holes don't line up. It leads me to believe I may have a 72 door on my 74. Does anyone know how to tell which door I may have?

Thanks!

According to everything I have seen, 67 thru 74 uses the same door hinges.

The pin kits are a bit universal and you have to drill out the existing hinges to install bushings where there were none from the factory on one of the hinges.

I can not find info about 75 and 76 hinges so I suspect they were different some how.

Iirc @MoparLeo is the hinge rebuilder here on FABO and he might be able to shed some light for you.

'72 and '74 have totally different doors. In '74, the inside upper frame cap is plastic, and the 72's have all painted metal. Inside door handles are different as well...Among other things.

'72 and '74 have totally different doors. In '74, the inside upper frame cap is plastic, and the 72's have all painted metal. Inside door handles are different as well...Among other things
So a 72 door is more like or the same as a 68 door?

68-72 door weather strip is different than 73-74.
67-76 hinges are the same as far as hinges are concerned. Pin kits are not Factory but put together aftermarket. From the factory, the pin diameter was the same for the uppers and lowers when new.
The uppers came with replaceable bronze bushings, the lowers because of the extra load on them did not and are prone to eventual wear. The lower hinges are also prone to stress cracking.
The proper remedy for the lower hinges is to have them drilled/reamed to the next size required to make the hole round again and then to use oversized, steel pins.
Never install soft, bronze bushings.
These cars are now over 50 years old and the door hinges are one of those things you don't think about until you have a problem.
I am very surprised that your painter didn't notice the hinge issue when setting the door gaps before paint. This is one of the first things checked before body work begins.
I will attach a few pictures of the common A and B-body hinges problems. They both use the same lower hinge.
Contact me if you need more assistance.
Leo

BAD-HINGE-1.jpg

bad hinge hole.jpg

20200627_201044.jpg

20200627_200742.jpg

B-BODY-UPPER-HINGE-1.jpg

HINGE REBUILD PARTS info.jpg

Attachments

• 2022 MEMBER HINGE PRICE LIST.pdf
    59 KB · Views: 36
  • MOPAR-HINGE-LETTER-1.pdf