Doors won't open

-

A Mopar

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the world of A-bodies, but not to Mopar. I picked up a 72 Duster yesterday that has been sitting since the late 1980s. The drivers door is unlocked and is not fully closed, but I cannot get it to open. The passenger door is locked. I have the keys to the car and have been able to get the door lock cylinder to turn on the passenger door, but it will not move enough to unlock it. I haven't been able to get the key to go into the cylinder on the drivers door, but I don't know if it would help much since it is already unlocked. The window on the drivers door is slightly cracked so i can feed something thin through it. The only thing I could think of is to make something with a loop and try to snag the inner door handle to see if I can get it to open that way. I don't want to break the glass trying to get the door open. Any ideas would be much appreciated. A linkage diagram of the inner workings of the door may also help.

duster.jpg

Lift up hard on the door handle while depressing the button . But since the door is ajar get some spray lube with a nozzle like WD40 and load the latch mechanism through the door opening first. Also spray in around the buttons and in the lock on both sides. work it and spray again. Just went through this on a Demon.

Lift up hard on the door handle while depressing the button . But since the door is ajar get some spray lube with a nozzle like WD40 and load the latch mechanism through the door opening first. Also spray in around the buttons and in the lock on both sides. work it and spray again. Just went through this on a Demon.
I sprayed about a 1/2 bottle of penetrating oil in the jam, around the latch and handle yesterday and tried lifting while opening. I forgot to mention this in my original post. I guess I'll give it a few days to soak in and try again.

You've probably already thought of this but can you gain access through the trunk? Some of those cars had fold down rear seat, right? I'm not sure when that option began.

if you can get a rod in the car try rolling down the window.

Trunk is a good option.

There seems to be a lot of rust.

Things might be solid.

If you can get a window down you can removecan inner door card and get some eyes on the mechanism

As crazy as it sounds, I would try closing the door completely first, then try opening it. A lot of times the latches get kinda jammed when partially opened.

Fold down seats came later, probably 74-75 and Dusters were gone in 77. Trunk might be best, but still a difficult way in. There maybe a cardboard panel and back of seat may be bolted to body at the bottom, even making that a tough choice.

Use a flat blade to get between the glass and wiskers to grab the lock rod on the passenger door. Your local police department will have one. They may even get it open if your nice to them. They did this on a regular basis years back so they have experience.

Another thought...

Remove the rear glass.

1st check that a replacement seal is available.

Then carefully cut the rubber seal

I ordered some different door unlocking tools today so I'll try them out this afternoon. The slim jim I did have is made out of flimsy aluminum and is likely deflecting when i put pressure on it.

Yesterday, I got some 24" long cable zip ties and linked them together. I was able to get to the drivers side interior door handle and pulled it all the way to the open position, but the latch still would not release. I was also able to get the key to go into the tumbler on the drivers side yesterday and it will move the door lock rod up and down, but no success in getting it open. Does anyone have a picture of how the door lock rod attaches to the latch assembly itself? That would help me target where to put the door lock tool this afternoon.

As crazy as it sounds, I would try closing the door completely first, then try opening it. A lot of times the latches get kinda jammed when partially opened.
I've tried it but haven't been able to get it to shut. I'm about 275 lbs so I'm throwing the weight at it when I'm trying to close it, haha.

Another thought...

Remove the rear glass.

1st check that a replacement seal is available.

Then carefully cut the rubber seal
Or, if the windshield is cracked, break it out and get inside that way. If the windshield is good and you don't want to risk breaking it, try coat hangering the window crank to lower the door glass. Pull the trim cards off the doors to get to the latch. What are your plans for the car? If it's going to be taken apart, you may also just pull the front fenders and unbolt the door from the hinges. That should give you enough movement to reach in and roll down the door glass. It might even help the latch come loose.

Victory! Got my old man to help me out with it today. After several more sessions of soaking the latch, hammering the lever inside the door with a long screwdriver, and ratchet strapping the door handle to my carport and slowly adding pressure, it finally opened! Now on to the next challenge, cleaning the disgusting interior out.

70690886839__8FDBB60E-0ACE-4BCF-A887-274DB3A39EBB.jpeg

Use a bigger hammer always works but sometimes at a price!

-
Back