Double flare offset?

-

NoahSewal

Reaction score
I was flaring my lines in a couple weeks ago and one of my double flares came out kind of wonky. when i went in to roll the end of the line it seems like maybe more material went to one side. but when i flared it out it seems like everything is good on the inside as of symmetry, the lip just seems to have more material on one side. it's not a lot but i wasn't sure if this would cause me issues. ive decided to be extra careful after seeing the video of the 1,300hp mercury. pictures down below if that helps

DD54A1F1-82A9-40DC-972A-204054041DE9.jpeg

5E0F7254-43BC-4C95-954A-388F45EA43AE.jpeg

1C474E68-9D5E-423B-8156-02B674343C9F.jpeg

If it were me, I'd remove that flare and redo it. Since it's offset, when you put the flare nut over it, it will move off-center and it'll likely leak or give you problems down the road.

If you have a 1/2" fluted countersink drill bit, those are great for cleaning/prepping the end to be flared. It'll remove any inside material when you cut the line.

Edit: Some photos. The chamfered edge gives the flare tool a nice centered hole to go into. Keeps everything straight and tidy

20220719-102150.jpg

20220719-102207.jpg

My OCD goes haywire with brake lines because my cars carry my family. I don't take any chances.

Last edited:
AND blow them out with compressed air to remove the metal debris..
I like using NiCop can't go wrong

Deburring the line is critical. Even a touch with a file will work. Worn out tubing cutters make poor cuts.

File the ends flat and square. I used to use the flare clamp itself, clamp the line in not very tight and use it for a guide for the file

IMG_0488.jpg

Absolute must when doing brakes.....
But, in all seriousness, take no chances. Do it right. Or, in this case, redo it. As others have stated, a wore tubing cutter or flare tool. Sometimes it just happens with new parts, too. All good, you'll get it.:thumbsup:

Somehow I've turned into an old guy and in that transition time, I've made a lot of double flares. With that, I've seen it all! The offset problem, uneven flares, lopsided ends that don't sit level in the flare nut... the list goes on. A couple of years ago I saw the Eastwood flare kit and thought... what the Hell! I pulled the trigger and spent the money. After receiving it and going through the usual learning curve, I have to say, it was worth every penny!! Beautiful flares every time!
Just my two cents....

-
Back