Doug’s or tti headers

-

Cam1399

Reaction score
I’m looking to get a new set of headers on my 1974 duster 360. It is power steering. It has some cheap set of headers that go through the steering and hang very low. I was thinking a set of shortys or if a different long tube would fit? What do you all suggest? Doug’s tti or something else that fits good? Thanks

I've used TTi's on a 70 Dart and a 75 Dart Sport, both 360/727 cars, with power steering, with no problems in either installation. There are plenty of members that have had similar experiences with Doug's. They aren't cheap, but worth the $$ IMO.
I took a set of cheapo headers off of the 75, probably similar to the ones you have, wall hangers now.

I put a set of Doug's on my '74/360 Duster (manual steering) a few months ago. Nice headers, they fit well, lots of room. I don't remember if I put the mini starter on before or after I bolted them up, though.

The best is between Dougs and TTI. Flip a coin.

Installed both sets recently. Dougs in a Barracuda that were manual steering headers in the car. When e put the 408 in we installed power steering and AC. They fit. Also TTI in a Demon. Pretty tight with manual steering. Both sets were installed with the Engine and K member on a stand. Here are some pictures.

20171224_124808.jpg

20171224_125910.jpg

20171224_135852.jpg

20171224_141707.jpg

100_0080 (2).JPG

100_0081.JPG

100_0134 (2).JPG

100_0098 (2).JPG

My Doug's would not clear the steering column coupler when I switched to Power Steering.

Doug's fit better on my Dart than the TTI's did at the Z-bar. The dogleg on the Z-bar would hit the pipe right in front of it when the pedal returned to park. Had to cut and reweld it back a few degrees for clearance. Switched to Doug's and had more clearance. Redid the Z-bar leg back to the original spot.

I like my Doug’s headers . Installed them like this . Not one single modification needed. If I was to choose between Doug’s and TTI I think I would just see where I could get the best deal.
I got mine used and they’ve been recycled through several engine builds. Still look pretty good. Except for a ton of scratches to the finish. Car is only driven in warm dry weather FYI

41695362-3888-42D2-B95D-F2FEAE4FE248.jpeg

D638156D-804A-4CEE-B235-ECF3FE8ACD15.jpeg

AF2939AC-B5CA-41BC-A17D-C2D7507FE59F.jpeg

I just got a set of 440 polished ceramic headers and man are they pretty. It took nearly 3 months to get them so keep that in mind.

Pretty much a toss up then. That’s good. What about ground clearance with the long tubes? Or would shorties be better option

Ground clearance with Dougs and tti are good, above the steering linkage.
Cheapies, not so much.

I’m looking to get a new set of headers on my 1974 duster 360. It is power steering. It has some cheap set of headers that go through the steering and hang very low. I was thinking a set of shortys or if a different long tube would fit? What do you all suggest? Doug’s tti or something else that fits good? Thanks
I put Dougs w/ceramic coating on my 408 with manual steering while the engine was in the car. Was easier to install the driver side after removing the gearbox. Only downside I've had is I changed the OE torsion bar to a PST 1.03 and the headers touch the bars on both sides. Some day I will need to remove them and "ding" the areas that touch to give some extra clearance.

Just ordered some Doug’s. Speedway had them for $450. Hopefully they fit with power steering

Just ordered some Doug’s. Speedway had them for $450. Hopefully they fit with power steering
They say it should fit. As with any header, sometimes it takes patience & ingenuity to get them into place! I love my headers, best I've ever had for ease of fit and ground clearance.

Good deal thanks. The power steering was the only thing that worried me

I put Dougs w/ceramic coating on my 408 with manual steering while the engine was in the car. Was easier to install the driver side after removing the gearbox. Only downside I've had is I changed the OE torsion bar to a PST 1.03 and the headers touch the bars on both sides. Some day I will need to remove them and "ding" the areas that touch to give some extra clearance.
Don't ding the header .
Wrap a ratchet strap around the collector and trans, being careful not to trap anything, and cinch it up as nec to bend enuff to gain clearance.
Sometimes a fencepost up the collector works as a suitable lever .
Cheers .

Don't ding the header .
Wrap a ratchet strap around the collector and trans, being careful not to trap anything, and cinch it up as nec to bend enuff to gain clearance.
Sometimes a fencepost up the collector works as a suitable lever .
Cheers .
To bend it instead of dinging it?

Spool Mounts and all factory parts?

Biscuit mounting with Poly mounts. Clears the box very tightly but would not clear the coupler. I went with a Flaming River B Body drop in tilt column, which I wanted anyway. Just cut the D Shaft shorter and its a drop in accept for the steering wheel.

Last edited:
-
Back