-

Joel Chapman

Reaction score
B90E8FDF-222F-4235-B192-75318513F84E.jpeg
649064FC-148E-4365-9914-2B89E0854649.jpeg
CF9C02D5-2FCD-4DA6-99FB-156C49D08A64.jpeg
D3090897-884C-4FCF-8093-C612A6D0F193.jpeg
29804DAE-7CCA-4208-A0F2-1795799D5FC6.jpeg
So I just installed the driver side header on my 360 in my 71 dart. So the only thing the headers are touching are the trans cooler lines…would the remedy for this just be bending the lines in some new directions? Also the tubes don’t touch my power steering box but are close. Is anyone had issues with the box being too hot cuz of the headers? If so what did you do to fix it? Car is just going to be a cruiser so not really expecting performance minded answers but won’t turn down any extra power either lol.

That doesn’t look like the proper routing for those transmission cooler lines.

That rubber cover on the starter terminal may need some kind of shielding, it looks really close.

As for the power steering box, all A-body headers are super close to it. Some have to be dented to clear. So on the power steering box clearance I think you’re ok.

That doesn’t look like the proper routing for those transmission cooler lines.

That rubber cover on the starter terminal may need some kind of shielding, it looks really close.

As for the power steering box, all A-body headers are super close to it. Some have to be dented to clear. So on the power steering box clearance I think you’re ok.
Roger that I’ll double check pre-bent lines see how different they look. As far as the rubber part on the starter that just hitting one of trans mission cooler lines.

Agree on the steering box clearance not being an issue.

What kind of starter are you running? I have a lightweight aluminum one in my 67 Barracuda, 360/Torqueflite, and the starter cable attachment is nowhere a header tube. (TTI, not Doug's, but still. . . .) Your rubber cover won't last any time that close to a header tube.

You can yank on the trans lines and bend them out of the way with a little muscle power. That said, I agree they don't appear to be routed correctly. I can't really see mine from above too well, and it's been a decade since I put the headers on, but I'm quite sure I don't have a trans line running under the headers. If you have pre-bent set, I'd run them. If I remember, they should run between the header tubes and the block. But I'd have to jack my car up and take a look underneath to be more precise.

The headers will give your cruiser a lot more power, from low down to up high.

Another point of note is to make sure your motor mounts are GOOD and located properly. They can be "moved around" a little bit. But yes, I'd bend those transmission lines out of the way pronto.

So does anyone have a part number for transmission cooler lines that would be correct so I can double check what I have? The lines I bought were for when I had a 318/904 combo and now I have a 360/904 combo. Had no issues with the lines while I was using manifolds.

I had to custom bend some trans lines to route around the header. Mine route down by the oil pan where the header tubes are to avoid contact with the header tubes.

-
Back