Doug's Installation

-

mopowers

Reaction score
When installing Doug's headers, do you have to raise the engine? How bout drop the steering linkage?

Lastly, can a 90* oil filter adapter be used?

Most header companies have instructions, even on thier websites.

Yes (probably), Yes, and Yes.

I needed to raise the motor to get the passenger side header in (just a little bit, so as to not scratch the new paint on the inner fenders.

I also dropped the steering linkage, at least on the driver's side.

My 90* filter adapter fits perfect. That being said, it also leaks perfectly onto my new passenger side header. I tried replacing the seals with all new ones direct from Mopar and adding RTV as specified. Still leaks. I don't recommend running one. I would just use the shorter filter. I'll be pulling my adapter off this spring when I change my oil.

-Mike

everything you need to know should be here..

early a directions...
[ame]http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/D450%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf[/ame]

67-up directions
[ame]http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/D453%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf[/ame]

I run a 90* adapter and a short filter. the stock size makes it a ***** to change. I place a small Tupperware container on the header when I remove the filter to keep the oil off of it as much as possible. If you're using a 4 speed you'll need to modify your z bar and check the ball housing, there are two nubs, one on each side that dig into the head if not removed, at least that was an issue on my cast iron bell.

This info pertains to my 69, Which car are you putting them on?

early abody

DISASSEMBLY

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
2. If a car lift is not available, raise the vehicle 2 feet or higher and support it with adequate
safety stands. Make sure the vehicle is on a flat solid surface and is stable.
3. Apply penetrating oil to all nuts and bolts to be removed.
4. Drain the radiator and save the anti-freeze.
5. Remove and mark all spark plug wires and then remove all spark plugs.
6. Cut head pipes off just before the transmission cross-member approximately three inches in
front of the transmission mount. Loosen and remove all head pipe bolts.
7. It is easier to remove the factory exhaust manifolds if you lift the motor 3-4”. To do this, you
will have to remove the ¾” nut and washer located at the bottom of the K-member. Place a
jack with a board between the jack and the oil pan to support the motor and lift the motor 3-
4”. It is best to do this by offsetting the jack and doing one side at a time. While the engine is
still in the air, remove the old manifold from the top of the car. Set the engine back down
and do the other side. You will have to lift the engine up again to install these headers.
8. We recommend removing all of the exhaust studs (with a stud removal tool) and chasing the
threads with a tap. Do not force them. You may break a stud. If they won’t come out, just
leave them in. You can still install the headers with the studs in but the supplied bolts make
for an easier installation.
9. Turn the wheels all the way to the right towards the passenger side. Remove the wire
connections to the starter and remove the starter.
10. Remove the cotter key and nut from the idler arm on the passenger side of the car. You can
do this from the top of the car by using a 2 foot long extension and a ¾” universal socket.
Use a pickle fork and hammer to remove the idler arm from the frame being careful to not
damage the idler arm. Pull the idler arm down as far as it will go.
11. It is much easier to install the driver’s side header if you remove the torsion bar first. The
header can be installed with the torsion bar in place but you will probably wish you removed
it first.
12. Remove the oil filter and 90 degree adaptor from the motor.
13. Remove the gaskets and any gasket material or any carbon deposits that remain on the
head surface. The use of a gasket removal agent will ease the removal of any gasket
material. Use care not to get debris into ports or spark plug holes.
14. If you have left the two exhaust studs in the head, it will be necessary to notch the outside of
the flanges to the bolt hole. Remember, it is only necessary to cut the outside holes on each
of the two header flanges.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSEMBLY

1. Turn the wheels all the way to the left towards the driver’s side. We strongly recommend
that you remove the driver’s side torsion bar, it is possible to install the header
without removing it, but you will wish you had! Lift the motor 3-4” and starting on the
Driver’s side, slide the lower main section of the header from underneath the car. If you did
not remove the torsion bar, you will have to spread the two pairs of tubes apart slightly to
get around the torsion bar. Note: The two flanged tubes go on the inside of the torsion bar
and the two slip connection tubes go on the outside of the torsion bar. You may have to
twist and rotate this section up and down and side to side in order to get this by the torsion Part No. 0110-003005 Page 3 Rev 5 -3-27-13 DSL

bar. Be careful not to bend the slip connections while doing this process. Once the header is
in, let it set in that position and go onto the next step.
2. Turn the wheels all the way to the right, towards the passenger side. Be careful not to run
the wheel into the header. Install the starter and tighten the bolts securely, but do not install
the wires yet.
3. From above slip the upper center section of the header into position. Make sure that one
flange goes under the steering shaft. Do not bolt it up. Pull the center section of the header
forward towards the front of the car and let it rest there.
4. Apply Hi-Temp Sensor-Safe Silicone Sealer on the slip connection. From the top slip the #4
tube into the lower main section of the header (this is the tube closest to the firewall).
Twisting the tube while inserting may make this process easier.
5. Bolt the upper center section to the bottom of the header. To do this, apply a THIN film of
Ultra Copper Hi-Temp Sensor-Safe Silicone Sealer on both sides of the two flange gaskets
and insert them between the two flanges. To align the bolt holes, start one bolt from the
bottom through the hole that has the nut welded on it. To get to this bolt use a 15” or longer
¼” drive extension with a 9/16” universal socket. Do the same on the other flange but from
the top. Do no tighten. These are difficult to get to, take your time and be patient.
6. Start the rest of the nuts and bolts, making sure that you use lock washers.
7. Lower the motor back into position and tighten the bolt on the driver’s side.
8. Slip the header gasket between the head and the flange. Start the four 5/16” header bolts
with lock washers. Do not tighten. Tighten the lower two bolt flanges.
9. Apply Hi-Temp Sensor-Safe Silicone Sealer on the front tube slip connection and insert it.
Install the last two 5/16” header bolts and lock washers. If you left the two exhaust studs in,
use the factory manifold washers and nuts on the two end studs. Tighten all bolts or studs
evenly.
10. Replace the starter wires, making sure they have adequate clearance around the header.
11. Reinstall the torsion bar if removed. Re install the oil filter mount and filter. Check the oil!
12. Check for clearances around shift cables, wires, brake lines, etc. It will be necessary to
move the front brake line away from the header tube as well as the proportioning valve.
13. Raise the passenger side of the motor 3-4”. Remove the two slip tubes from the main
header. With the idler arm pulled down and out of the way, install the main section of the
header from underneath the car. Make sure that one slip connection is on the outside of the
torsion bar.
14. If you left the factory exhaust studs in, cut the two end flanges like the left side.
15. Apply a generous portion of Ultra Copper Hi-Temp Sensor-Safe Silicone Sealer to the #4
(rear) tube slip connection and insert it into place.
16. Lower the motor back into position and tighten the motor mount nuts.
17. Slip the header gasket between the head and the flange. Start the four 5/16” header bolts
and lock washers. Do not tighten.
18. Reinstall the idler arm and tighten the ¾” nut securely and insert a new cotter key.
19. Apply Hi-Temp Silicone Sealer to the #1(front) tube slip connection and insert it into place,
twisting as needed to seat it completely.
20. Tighten all bolts and studs. Like the left side, use the factory exhaust nuts and washers on
the two end studs.
21. Check for clearances around shift cables, wires, brake lines, etc. It will be necessary to
move the front brake line away from the header tube.
22. Put the anti-freeze back in and replace the battery ground cable.

67-up header

DISASSEMBLY

DRIVER SIDE
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
2. If a car lift is not available, raise the vehicle 2 feet or higher and support it with adequate
safety stands. Make sure the vehicle is on a flat solid surface and is stable.
3. Apply penetrating oil to all nuts and bolts to be removed.
4. Drain the radiator and save the anti-freeze.
5. Remove and mark all spark plug wires and then remove all spark plugs.
NOTE: Grasp the spark plug boot, not the wire, and use a twisting motion while pulling
the wire from the plug.
6. Remove motor mount nut from under the cross member.
7. Remove factory bellhousing / engine support brackets.
8. Remove nut from ball and socket end of pitman arm and separate the center link from the
pitman arm and allow it drop out of the way.
9. Cut the head pipe back approximately at the location of where the header exits, then,
remove the exhaust manifold.

PASSENGER SIDE
1. Remove oil filter and right angle adaptor if so equipped.
2. Remove idler arm bolt from frame and allow center link to drop.
3. Cut the head pipe back approximately at the location of where the header exits, then,
remove the exhaust manifold.

CLEANING
4. Replace the spark plugs finger tight so debris will not get into the cylinders during the
cleaning operation.
5. Remove any gasket material or any carbon deposits that remain on the head surface. The
use of a gasket removal agent will ease the removal of any gasket material. We
recommend the use of a sharp gasket scraper to remove the bulk of material and to finish
the operation with a sanding block to provide a clean flat sealing surface.
6. After cleaning is complete remove the spark plugs again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSEMBLY

DRIVER SIDE (Note: Driver side must be installed first)
1. Remove the motor mount bolt and lift the engine approximately 1-2 inches.
2. Apply a THIN film of Ultra Copper Hi-Temp Sensor-Safe Silicone Sealer to each side of
the header gasket and stick the gasket to the header flange. Masking tape can be used
to help hold the gasket to the header.
3. Place header into position:
Note: It will be necessary to install the starter simultaneously when putting the header
into place. Bolt in the starter then let the engine down carefully. Be sure not to crush the
header while letting the engine down.
4. Install the motor mount bolt and tighten securely.
5. Re-assemble the steering linkage.

Part No. 0110-003007 Page 3 Rev 3 3-27-13 DSL
PASSENGER SIDE
1. As on the driver side, remove the motor mount bolt and lift the engine as needed to put
the header into position.
2. Apply a THIN film of Ultra Copper Hi-Temp Sensor-Safe Silicone Sealer to each side of
the header gasket and stick the gasket to the header flange. Masking tape can be used
to help hold the gasket to the header.
3. Place header into position.
4. Lower engine back into place.
5. Put the motor mount bolt back in and tighten securely.
6. Replace the old filter with a FRAM # PF43 or equivalent (short style) to clear the header
tubes properly. If equipped with a right angle adapter, loosen the large bolt and rotate
the filter out of the way as needed.
7. Re-install the idler arm.
8. Install reducers and attach to the rest of the exhaust system.
9. Refill the radiator with the saved anti-freeze.
10. Reattach the negative battery cable to the battery.

START THE ENGINE

Start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temperature. Check for any unusual
noises or exhaust leaks. If every thing is OK, stop the engine and tighten all bolts while the
engine is still warm.
NOTE: Check the bolts periodically to make sure they have not loosened. Re-tighten after
the first 500 miles and then again at 1000 miles.

IMPORTANT CHECK LIST

Be sure that all brake lines and fuel lines are clear of headers and/or connector
pipes.
All spark plug wires, battery cables, or other electrical components should be
clear of headers and/or connector pipes.
If dipstick tube was removed, make sure it is installed properly and that the
dipstick has been replaced.
Double-check the tightness of all bolts including brackets and accessories.

I was unable to find Doug's destructions on their websites. I'll post them here Used my Canonscan four dollar thrift store scanner, LOL

Attachments

• pg1s.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 789
  • pg2s.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 743
  • pg3s.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 736
Why run the 90* filter adapter if you don't need it?

Straight filter adapter and a 51068 wix filter. Lots less chance for leaks.

When changing filters, you can roll up a piece of cardboard or lay a flat piece above the headers, funnel the leaking oil away, to keep them clean. Think it through before you make the oil change.

You can sometimes get away with turning the wheels all the way one direction or other to gain some needed clearance when installing. Others require breaking the centerlink down.

Leave the headers in the bags and lay a towel on the steering box/shaft to protect the headers from damage when sticking them on.

They are easier to install than hooker/copies. That's not really saying much because brain surgery is easier than installing 5901 hookers. :)

Why run the 90* filter adapter if you don't need it?

For me it was what I had and didn't have the parts to go directly to the block.

I like how the 67-up don't even touch on the subject of having a manual transmission and what is needed, but it fits.....

Thanks for the tips. The only reason I asked about the 90* adapter is because it's currently installed and doesn't leak. If I have to take it off to install the headers (which it looks like I do) I probably won't reinstall it.

Thanks for posting the instructions. For some reason, I was having trouble finding them. Didn't realize they're online...

Not trying to hi-jack but I'm literally under my 71 swinger auto right now finishing up install of Doug's headers. Everything went as instructions say, however I can't get the bell-housing/engine supports bracket on the drivers side back into place. It seems that it doesn't clear the mini-starter...do I have a problem?

Not trying to hi-jack but I'm literally under my 71 swinger auto right now finishing up install of Doug's headers. Everything went as instructions say, however I can't get the bell-housing/engine supports bracket on the drivers side back into place. It seems that it doesn't clear the mini-starter...do I have a problem?

Did it come off (to verify it's the right one cause there are a few different ones)? Do you have it backwards? I know that is a dumb question but it happens with odd shaped items like these. I had no problem getting mine back on

Do these 453 headers bolt up to edlebrock rpm heads?? and what does modifying the 4speed z-bar mean and how do you do it

The arm on the Z bar for the clutch fork has to be moved to the end of the z-bar and flipped so the adjuster is on the opposite side. The attached PDF shows the stock z-bar and dimensions and the modified z-bar and dimensions. You could also buy a z-bar from TTI, they're the same specs. But it's pretty easy to just move the arm and weld it back on. That's what I did.

IMG_1390_zps5482280e.jpg

As far as the heads, I would think they'd fit just fine. But I've never tried it either.

Attachments

• DougsSBzbar.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 226
Very nice. Thanks for the pics and help. I'm going to pull the current motor out this summer and start the rebuild. I'll post the progress with the various parts and pieces and how it went together!! And leaving the cuss words out. ha ha .

Very helpful, Thanks for the $4.00 post. Buy yourself a MOPAR part today for your efforts!!! ha ha .

Only on FABO would we have this large of a discussion about an instruction sheet that's included in the box; this thread should not exist.

I received the Dougs headers from Autozone. Very heavy duty and fit the Edlebrock RPM aluminum heads perfect!!! Now to pull the 318 and slip the 408 in!!!! thanks for all the input I'm happy!!!!

I am running Dougs headers and I just finished putting them in this last weekend. I had the motor halfway out, bolted them up and then slowly lowered the motor back down. I am running a 90 degree adapter and everything fit with no issues. I also have no issues with my Z-bar. Here are some pictures for you and if you need more pics or advice let me know as I just went through this. Hope it helps.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 483
Only on FABO would we have this large of a discussion about an instruction sheet that's included in the box; this thread should not exist.

I have found that many times some of these destructions were written by someone who probably had never seen either the product or the object into which the product was to be installed.

Sheet says the Dougs will work with a 727 in a early A, yet Dougs site says they will not ???

I have found that many times some of these destructions were written by someone who probably had never seen either the product or the object into which the product was to be installed.

You nailed it. I often question who wrote instructions for most projects, home or car!!!:violent1:

-
Back