Dougs w/ cam break-in?

-
They say not to because they may be discoloured, but that the coating will not be compromised.

I bought a set of dougs uncoated for mine, I painted them myself, and broke in the cam with them, the coating looks like it did when new, and still does, Im sure the actual dougs coating will fair much better, but of course the best choice would be to use a set cheap headers or manifolds for break in.

You aren't breaking in the engine, just the cam. Big difference in heat.

Get it fired, up to rpm and set timing to 36-40 and you should keep exhaust temps under control. Don't worry about the total number as it's not under load. Low timing setting will drive exhaust temps to a point where occasionally the pipes will go sherry red. Stay away from there.

I'd get two big box fans, on high, and place them in front of the car.

We broke in the 417 last week. Put a big squirrel cage fan in front of the car and let it rip. Only difference is that the cam is a roller so we didn't have to run it for very long periods. Ceramic coating has no discoloration yet.

I've seen headers get a little rosy with a bad vacuum leak (lean),, masked because of the high rpm and no load...

Broke in my Hughes cam with new ceramic coated Doug's on a 360 last May no issues they still look great!

-
Back