Drack slicks for a 17x8?

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Summit lists a Mickey Thompson ET drag radial in 275x40x17, but requires a 9 inch wide wheel. Maybe a different brand would have some thing in a 255. I run 255x45x17 Nittos on the street and just change the wheels for the track to 15 inch wheels with 275x50x15 M/T's.

I would run either or that you have mentioned...depends how much extra gear ratio you want out of it for the tire height you are after, but M&H and Hoosier make some good tires...although if this is a street type car, I would go with a DOT tire that wont wear out so quick on the street either like a drag radial (or atleast not wear out as quick)

for 320 a Radial should be fine. Friend with 700hp 300zx twin turbo and STICK gets great traction and 0-60 in under 3 secs.

Well it's a street car. I drive it 4 times a week. But I'm curious to see what it will run. I'm willing to buy another set of rear wheels with dedicated slicks mounted on them, throw em in the trunk with my floor jack, drive to the track which is about 1.5 hours away, swap wheels and run it.

I'm pretty confident in my equipment, I beat the hell out of it on backroads, but I do understand once traction occurs and ya hook, stuff breaks or can break. lol

Won't be my last time to the track either, I plan to go more often and do before and after tests with different things I do to the car.

Well it's a street car. I drive it 4 times a week. But I'm curious to see what it will run. I'm willing to buy another set of rear wheels with dedicated slicks mounted on them, throw em in the trunk with my floor jack, drive to the track which is about 1.5 hours away, swap wheels and run it.

I'm pretty confident in my equipment, I beat the hell out of it on backroads, but I do understand once traction occurs and ya hook, stuff breaks or can break. lol

Won't be my last time to the track either, I plan to go more often and do before and after tests with different things I do to the car.
what track you gonna use james? sac or sonoma?beating the hell out of it on the streets works for me.never broke anything at the track yet.brokeat the street races once though.stock flexplate....

I was thinking sacramento...but i see it is actually further away. LOL maybe ill go to sonoma. Ive never been to either.

where do you go?

I hear sonoma is a lot busier though. That's why i always go to sac., more runs per night imo

I was thinking sacramento...but i see it is actually further away. LOL maybe ill go to sonoma. Ive never been to either.

where do you go?
sonoma has better track prep and dont let the fast cars cut in line whenever they want to like sac.

I hear sonoma is a lot busier though. That's why i always go to sac., more runs per night imo
if you get there at 3:30 you can get 3 time runs then just dont screw up and you can get a bunch more..sonomas 20 miles closer for me also....

sonoma has better track prep and dont let the fast cars cut in line whenever they want to like sac.

must be a T&T thing?

I've been going to wed. drags for 6+yrs now(never had a fast car til now) and i've never seen that happen.

Also, i think the prep at sac has gotten a lot better. It seems like they're finally renovating the track and taking care of it.

going in april with my buddy but just to watch. my car has no reg yet and i'm still working on getting the rear set up 4.56s and the carb fitted to the intake.but i'll find out what wed he got off and let you know.it is fun as hell.even the street class.i usually run comp rod,like steve and lisa caldwell...

going in april with my buddy but just to watch. my car has no reg yet and i'm still working on getting the rear set up 4.56s and the carb fitted to the intake.but i'll find out what wed he got off and let you know.it is fun as hell.even the street class.i usually run comp rod,like steve and lisa caldwell...

What do you have to do to pass tech at either? Always wondered

depends on your car,need i quart radiator overflo,battery in trunk need sealed box or firewall,no morethen 12 inches of rubber fuel line.all lugnuts on wheels,no leaks,etc.most cars pass tech easily.the faster you go the more rules there are.oh yeah faster than 13.99 need helmet....

Battery in trunk,needs master disconnect switch as well.A buddy of mine got popped, at Bakersfield for that.

I would get some 15s for the track. Less rotating weight, more sidewall. That stiff sidewall wall with those 17" rims could cause traction issues.

if you get there at 3:30 you can get 3 time runs then just dont screw up and you can get a bunch more..sonomas 20 miles closer for me also....

Wow, on street drag nights here in MN I have gotten 10 or more passes, one time got 22 passes!! But on big race weekends, its only a few when its a full venue.

I would get some 15s for the track. Less rotating weight, more sidewall. That stiff sidewall wall with those 17" rims could cause traction issues.

I agree^^^^^^^^^^:glasses7: Plus, finding a set of plain steelie rims is cheaper than buying extra 17" rims to mount the race tires.

when would yall be going? lets plan a trip...

I have no clue when i'll be going next. I'm still working out my efi conversion and thanks in part to myself(twice) and chicken-S ticket writing cops(twice) i have to get a working speedo before i will risk driving anywhere. :eek:ops:

I have not seen slicks in a 17 " diameter.
16 " , but them's bigg'uns. Like 17" wide and 33.5 or 34 " tall.
If you can track down a used set of aluminum rims in 15 X 8 with a back space around 4.5 " , you should be able to shoe horn a 9 X 28 " slick into most stock wheel wells.
Though the tire will like a wider rim , and this will reduce the cross section a bit too.

Wow, on street drag nights here in MN I have gotten 10 or more passes, one time got 22 passes!! But on big race weekends, its only a few when its a full venue.they usually get 300 cars here so passes are few before eliminations.

I agree^^^^^^^^^^:glasses7: Plus, finding a set of plain steelie rims is cheaper than buying extra 17" rims to mount the race tires.
x3 low pro tires suck at a dragstrip. except on ricers!!!!!!!!!!!!:finga:

-
Back