drag race front brake kits

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

my Valiant will get a brake upgrade this winter, but i can´t decide between the non-vented / solid rotor drag Setup and the vented street/Strip Setup. Wilwood for example has both kits, since light weight is what i want i first Chose the solid rotor kit, but what if this solid Disc can´t stand the heat from street driving? I have no clue…..can you help me out? Any of you guys run a solid rotor Setup on the Streets, pro´s / con´s? i´d prefer the solid Setup because of the
weight and cheaper Price....but if it´s a No-Go i´d buy the vented Setup.

Thanks!

Michael

The street kit has 1 1/2" studs . Lightweight wheels require 3" studs . solution : order street kit and a set of 3"studs also . Ask me how I know , lol

That and you would be an idiot to run “Race” brakes on the street. Willwood themselves tell you not to. You’ll experience quickly fading/failing brakes that get changed way to often.

“Street kit w/3 inch studs” is the way to go!

I run Strange vented race brakes on the front of my street/strip Dart and have never had any issues. They've been on the car for about 10 years and I have never replaced the pads. Your mileage may vary.

If I were doing it again I'd probably buy Aerospace.

If I was sticking with a stock steering setup (and not doing a rack with mustang spindles at any point in the future) I would get the brackets that allow viper calipers, and use a solid faced, vented rotor. Drilled and slotted looks cool, but can lead to stress cracks. I had a MAJOR performance brake companies drilled and slotted rotors crack, break, and nearly kill me. Their statement was that the visible cracks were "ok" and the fact a rotor broke in half was "my fault". I won't own anything from that brand if it was given to me after that. And my drag car now has vented, solid face rotors.

Last edited:
I have the Wilwood 140-11023 kit on my '70 duster they perform very well on the street or track..

I also support using the vented rotors. In fact, that's what I bought for my race only cars. But they are heavy - 3,540 lbs+ Dart Sport and 3,940+ lbs Dodge Aspen. wagon. I just haven't gotten around to installing them. Solid rotors are more prone to warping as well. Usually solids are recommended for 3,000 lbs or less weight for race vehicles. But they get even more abuse on the street. You will still usually save weight over the OEM discs with aftermarket vented rotors, just not as much. But it's the right choice for your application

Thanks guys, i´ll get the non-drilled vented Rotors to be safe. If i can´t get it light i have to put in some more horses i think ;-) Thanks for your Feedback!

Michael

-
Back