Drag race trip --Possible locations ?

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
3-4 of us are thinking of maybe making a 1500 or so roughly mile round trip to some locations this year possible stops .. East Iowa, Illinois ,Indiana ..

Not sure where all we could go in two weeks

Good itinerary might be US41 dragway in Morocco, Indiana, US131 Motorsport park Martin, Mi, mid Michigan motorplex, Stanton Mi. Summit Motorsports Park, Norwalk, Ohio.
Muncie Dragway, Muncie In. Byron Dragway, Byron Illinois.

frankly, you could hit Byron inbound, then catch US41 and US131. After those three, the others mentioned aren’t more than 3-5 hours away, depending on where you are.
There are others as well, I didn’t mention. But all the mentioned ones run nice programs I know from experience

You could always follow the routes that Drag Week takes. They change it every year but there are several tracks in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin you could hit.
Home - Byron Dragway
Great Lakes Dragaway | 1/4 Mile IHRA Drag Strip
NHRA 101 - Route 66 Raceway

believe Joliet has been closed for some time now.
Correct about the other two, then could hit US41 and US 131
I don’t know anything about Great Lakes Dragway, other than several people got shot and killed there a few years back. Good buddy was racing there that night, hasn’t raced since then.
Might be fine now, I just have no personal experience

believe Joliet has been closed for some time now.
Correct about the other two, then could hit US41 and US 131
I don’t know anything about Great Lakes Dragway, other than several people got shot and killed there a few years back. Good buddy was racing there that night, hasn’t raced since then.
Might be fine now, I just have no personal experience
That shooting took place during an event called Larry's fun fest. It is for a population that have 28 inch rims and that killing was gang related. Even the Father of one of the victims witnessed his Son get killed and refused to cooperate with police. We don't go to the track on that day

Been to Fargo many times over the years , always fun ..

Prefer to maybe stay clear of Chicago traffic and toll roads

Mopar nationals, then Edgewater in Cincinnati, then Indy, then Beechbend in bowling green Kentucky.

I'll throw in Cordova Dragway (Illinois) if you decide to head up along the Mighty Mississippi. It's the oldest operating dragway in the USA. Nice 1/4 mile track.

Mopar nationals, then Edgewater in Cincinnati, then Indy, then Beechbend in bowling green Kentucky.

^^This^^ Come east. Make the Moparty and I'll let you ride my Pee Wee Herman bicycle. :lol:

I really think don, B3422w5 wanted to ride it last year but was too bashful to ask. :rofl:

Where in SD are you ? Watertown? Wilmot ? Milbank?

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is check the schedules at each track I planned to race at and their policies. A lot of tracks in my area run big money events and at these events you better be ready for very limited time trials. Many events are pre-enter events and sold out so closed to drive ins. Norwalk’s regular bracket race events are one time trial and race because of high car counts. Several of the tracks run a one time trial policy if rain is in the forecast. Just a heads up to what you may run into.

3-4 of us are thinking of maybe making a 1500 or so roughly mile round trip to some locations this year possible stops .. East Iowa, Illinois ,Indiana ..

Not sure where all we could go in two weeks
You didn't say for sure when but Cedar Falls Motorsports Park has some big events. https://www.racecfmp.com/

67085746_10157405655144133_7318806825673949184_n (1) (1).jpg

cedar falls would be on the list I think , maybe Humboldt for a hoot
Haven't been to Humbolt for decades. A old time strip that has been open for a half century. Cedar Falls as well.

-
Back