Drag Racing Tips?

-

GO DART

Reaction score
Think I'm Ready To Take The Dart On Its First Passes.
1970 340 Swinger-preety Hot Cam-shift Kit(727)-holly High Risew/750 Carb- And What Must Be 4.10 Gears In A Sure Grip Rear End.
Just Street Tires (81/2 ") My Concern Is The End Of The Race When I'm Well Into 3rd Gear. This Car On The Hiway Is Really Reving At 60 Mph. Whats Going To Happen At Close To 100mph. No Tach So I'll Shift By Ear (probably Early). You Guys Do This Every Day, So What Can I Exspect At The End Of The Race? I'm Projecting High 13 Times But Don't Want To Hurt The Car. Ant Thoughts? Thanks

I Can Let The Trans Shift Its Self Which I Think Shifts Early. Do I Need The Tach To Make Sure I'm Not Over Revving At The End Of The Track?

In a quarter mile run with a fairly stock set-up, I don't think you have to worry about turning high R's which would hurt your engine. Just nail it and have fun.

GO DART said:
I Can Let The Trans Shift Its Self Which I Think Shifts Early. Do I Need The Tach To Make Sure I'm Not Over Revving At The End Of The Track?

You can let it shift its self. Yes you need a tach to make sure your not over
revving at the stripe.

GO DART said:
Do I Need The Tach To Make Sure I'm Not Over Revving At The End Of The Track?
You also need the tach so when you come back wanting to go faster we can help. Launch rpm, shift points, rpm at the finish line.

yea the tach sounds like a must. i'll get one tomorrow. i've got a red msg ignition with a loose wire on one end. i'm sure that's where i hook up the tach right? can anyone give me a line out on this? thanks

get a tach asap and install the tallest tires the wheel welss can handle.With 4.10 gears you will be lighting the tires if you have any thing less them 28 inches in diameter.If you can get a set of slicks,even better.is the auto or stick,and whattype of rpm is the cam rated for and your heads,what are there flow numbers to figure peak horsepower,mrmopartech

Been racing my sons Dart for years with no tach. To be honest even when I bracket raced years ago with a tach I still shifted by ear. We did finally put a tach in the car Sat. But I agree its a good idea to put a tach in the car. That 340 should handle 6000 rpm's with ease as I dont think you will have any trouble but its worth the insurance to get the tach since you are new at this. My son did good without a tach the only time he ran his Dart with the 400 running 11.71 , 11.70 , 11.69 , 11.75 and 11.66. He cant wait to start playing with shift points now. Good luck as I think 13's should be no sweat for you. Ron

hey tony its a msd 6al with a 6000 fuse in it so i guess it won't let me rev higher than 6000 any way right?

The 6AL has a Tach plug right on it. Its a male plug on the side of the box. You may want to try a higher chip then the 6000 one in it.

great! so just find a tach thats compatible with the plug? i can do that anyone see i have a pict of the dart on now? thanks to my 17 yr old.

Most newer tach will work with the MSD. just about any Autometer should work.

Car looks great by the way.

thanks she does turn a few heads when i cruise down the blvd. i may have to order the tach cause i found a web site that said parts america carried them but when i got there all they really had was #:*%

Just put this Auto Meter tach in my sons Dart on Sat and it has very easy instuctions that shows which wire goes to the MSD tach terminal. Piece of cake to install. Got any more pics of that cool Dart ? Ron

99316660.jpg

Install the tach and go racing. At the end of the night(after the drag racing bug has got you) you will want to do a whole bunch of stuff, like go racing next week end. You do it once and your hooked. The first drag race i went to i entered the street class and won. Been racing ever since----still trying to get that win again.

i'll try to post some picts tonite. like mechanic work i'm a little behind the curve when it comes to computers. oh well i know a heck of alot about kitchen and bath remodeling. now if i can just find a tach locally.

GO DART said:
now if i can just find a tach locally.

Check with your local O'Reilly auto parts. I have found they can get the same stuff I usually buy through Jegs or Summit, for about the same price. If they don't have it in the store, they can usually get it from their distributor by the next day. And the best thing is, if you order something and decide you don't like it, you just simply don't pay for it.

A while back I wanted to buy a rachet shifter for my Dart. It's hard to pick one out of a catalog without actually seeing them. So I went to O'Reilly and had them order two different B&M shifters and one Hurst that I liked from the photos. Next day I went back to the store and picked out the one I wanted, the other two got sent back to the distributor. No hassle, no fuss, and no overnight shipping charges. :thumleft:

GO DART said:
hey tony its a msd 6al with a 6000 fuse in it so i guess it won't let me rev higher than 6000 any way right?

Correct but as Adam said I would go with a higher chip maybe 6400.
If you can't find a tach in time you could always use the limiter as a safety.
Shift quickly as soon as you feel the breaking up of the engine. Not the best answer but I've done it when my tach wire came loose at the tree and stopped
working before I installed my shift light. Again its just a safety.

-
Back