Drag radial users

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I plan to switch to MT Drag radials and I was wondering what type of burnouts people are doing with them.

We do enough to make a little smoke. If tire is new you may want to heat them up pretty good. 1.43 60 ft. 10.52 1/4 mile. 22 lb .pressure
100_05462.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0279a.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0285-1.jpg
[/IMG]

What I have found on my car is, my son will pull thru the water & I stop him just as it rolls out of the water(to the edge.) With the trans in second gear, he hits the throttle, until the tires start to smoke. He then releases the roll control & throttle at the same time. DO NOT CHIRP OR DO A DRY HOP AFTER THIS! Years ago I had read in print & also talked with a Firestone rep, they don't reccomend doing dry hops. When the dry hop is performed, it thermoshocks the tires, resulting in all that heat that you just put into, is now gone. Have you ever notice there is always that racer that loves to do the dry hops, the car hooks hard on the hop, then spins on the line. This is why. We run the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial (P255-60R15), our 60ft times are high 1.50's to low 1.60's with ET's in the 11.80 range. This is a street car/weekend racer.

I roll in to the water spin to get them wet roll forward do a pretty good burnout let off the brake with the tires spinning as i go forward stage and launch 60's in the 1.40's with 15psi of air, i've found this is the best method for my car..

I run 275/60 15 Mickey Thompson Street ET drag radials on my 1974 Plymouth Satellite and I love them. They grip real nice when you heat them up. Is what I do at the track is I drive around the burnout box, then back into it so only the rear tires get wet, (I run street tires on the front, don't want to get water from the fronts to get on the rears after the burnout). I heat them up till I start to see some smoke, then I do a burnout out of the box, then stage on the line. One thing I miss with not having street tires on the rear is doing all those fun smokey burnouts! The drag radials set me back about $170 a piece, can't burn them up at that price! Keith.

-
Back