Drag tire question.

-

Freighttrain

Reaction score
I’m trying to decide on new wheels and tires for my 70 duster. I really like the look of the 17-18” rear tires over the 15”

I wanted to go with the Mickey Thompson Street ET Street R radial tires. I am finding out from articles and friends that the 15” with the bigger sidewall has more traction. The car will probably run in the 10.80-11.30 range. Does anyone have any experience with the 17” tires. Wondering how much of a traction difference there is.

I’m trying to decide on new wheels and tires for my 70 duster. I really like the look of the 17-18” rear tires over the 15”

I wanted to go with the Mickey Thompson Street ET Street R radial tires. I am finding out from articles and friends that the 15” with the bigger sidewall has more traction. The car will probably run in the 10.80-11.30 range. Does anyone have any experience with the 17” tires. Wondering how much of a traction difference there is.
It's hard to get the "look"and the traction. Pick one or the other

I have 325/50-15 BFG DRs, on my streeter, with street suspension,and no traction aid. They don't seem to stick any better then the 295/50-15 BFG T/As ,or Cobras for that matter.
But they sure do look good under there.
Uhcht, entered the wrong forum......again. Sorry

Last edited:
Run the 17" on the street for the look you want and put 15s on at the track. M/T ET Street SS drag radial 235/60/15 hooks on my car 1.645 60'. Your car should 60' better if the chassis is setup correctly.

Run the 17" on the street for the look you want and put 15s on at the track. M/T ET Street SS drag radial 235/60/15 hooks on my car 1.645 60'. Your car should 60' better if the chassis is setup correctly.
I agree with this. It's going to be hard to hook a 17 inch drag radial at the track. Not saying it can't be done just would be tough

going from 15's to 17's on a 28+ inch talltire isn't going to change much if it's a good tire IMO

-
Back