Drag Truck makes first pass....

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
From the field, to the track..... We are really happy with the progression.

I like that end… “318 did run” is excellent! Love it.
Looking forward to the next video.

Good showing for a heavy beast :)

Cam and stall next ??

Nice :thumbsup: although I believe the calculator is giving the 318 the benefit of the doubt in the final 1/8. lol :lol:

Nice video, finally subscribed to your channel and look forward to seeing what the new engine will do.

Nice :thumbsup: although I believe the calculator is giving the 318 the benefit of the doubt in the final 1/8. lol :lol:
As funny as this sounds, the 318 continues to pull with the 4.30's finishing the big end at a better RPM. Unfortunately, off the line is where the 318 got killed. The weight and the converter killed the 60 ft. But... once it hits about 25 mph it really does pull well.... for what it is, of course.

I like it! Ask us old guys for free parts!
the 5.9 that we are going to install - we paid 150, sold enough parts off of it so now it's basically free, then the Oregon cam and hughes valve springs and edelbrock timing chain. Using the intake/carb from the 318. We aren't rebuilding it, so we are calling it the grenade 360... lol.

Not bad at all. My D100 and a warmed over 318 ran 10.2 in the 1/8th at 70mph, but I was only running 3.91 gears and had to shift at 5000rpm due to some kind of misfire, and it was super slow out the hole. It started picking up steam at the 60ft once it finally passed 3500rpm. I was really hoping to run 9.99 or better, but I didn’t quite get there. Still not bad for my daily driver/beater truck.

826DAF75-1897-472F-B8C9-7C647169BA92.png

Not bad at all. My D100 and a warmed over 318 ran 10.2 in the 1/8th at 70mph, but I was only running 3.91 gears and had to shift at 5000rpm due to some kind of misfire, and it was super slow out the hole. It started picking up steam at the 60ft once it finally passed 3500rpm. I was really hoping to run 9.99 or better, but I didn’t quite get there. Still not bad for my daily driver/beater truck.

View attachment 1715771613
that is a nice looking truck ! Mine acted just like yours, once I got to 60 ft it picked up steam. Mine is due to a really low stall. I shifted at 5k on every pass. It's where it seemed to like to be shifted "outside of town".

My truck has a 2000rpm stall in it as well. It really takes all the fun out of it. Once it starts pulling it is fairly strong, but I can’t runout the rpm to take advantage of the XE262 cam it’s got. I initially thought it was an ignition issue, but after multiple different ecus, distributors and coils, I’m leaning towards it being a valve train issue. I bought the heads already done, so maybe it’s valve springs or something?!

Ironically we had two other 318?trucks run last year at that time. One was my buddy’s ‘79 that a warmed over 318 with a comp 268AH-10 cam, some cut 360 heads, an LD4B and shorty headers. Also had 3.91 gears. It was running 10.30s at 70mph, and just like mine, didn’t seem to have nearly enough converter.

The infuriating part, was my brother brought his 200k mile bone stock ‘91 Dakota 318 LA with factory 3.55 gears and ran a 10.16 at 68mph! Our run grilles we’re making more power considering the mph and weight difference, but he would kill us in the 60ft!

My truck has a 2000rpm stall in it as well. It really takes all the fun out of it. Once it starts pulling it is fairly strong, but I can’t runout the rpm to take advantage of the XE262 cam it’s got. I initially thought it was an ignition issue, but after multiple different ecus, distributors and coils, I’m leaning towards it being a valve train issue. I bought the heads already done, so maybe it’s valve springs or something?!
I think I'd be lucky to have 1600 rpm stall. I can't brake-torque it to that, it's push past the brakes at about 1400... but maybe it might flash to 1600???

Ironically we had two other 318?trucks run last year at that time. One was my buddy’s ‘79 that a warmed over 318 with a comp 268AH-10 cam, some cut 360 heads, an LD4B and shorty headers. Also had 3.91 gears. It was running 10.30s at 70mph, and just like mine, didn’t seem to have nearly enough converter.

The infuriating part, was my brother brought his 200k mile bone stock ‘91 Dakota 318 LA with factory 3.55 gears and ran a 10.16 at 68mph! Our run grilles we’re making more power considering the mph and weight difference, but he would kill us in the 60ft!
some truck fun for sure!!! lol. We were happy with the 10.08. I have no idea the condition of our 318, how much slack may be in the chain, I do know occasionally a lifter tick comes and goes. We didn't even bother with a compression test because no matter what it was it would have to run as it was...

-
Back