Drag Truck WINS Race! *and weight update

-
how far down are the pistons from the deck at TDC?
Didn't measure, but they are right up there pretty close to the deck. Much better than what you'd normally see on a LA.

I know they all differ, but on Matt's Magnum, the original pistons were .055 below. Still much better than the old low comp. 360s.
I didn't measure, but I don't think these were that far down the hole. If I had to guess, I'd say max of a spark plug gap.... .035 ?? I used Fel Pro Head gaskets 9898.
Here is the booger - I ordered new head bolts got small block chivy bolts :BangHead: I always re-used the head bolts on LA's, but they say on magnum's you should buy new???? Anyone know any different ???

I didn't measure, but I don't think these were that far down the hole. If I had to guess, I'd say max of a spark plug gap.... .035 ?? I used Fel Pro Head gaskets 9898.
Here is the booger - I ordered new head bolts got small block chivy bolts :BangHead: I always re-used the head bolts on LA's, but they say on magnum's you should buy new???? Anyone know any different ???

I hadn't heard that. We did use new head bolts on Matt;s for 2 reasons.
1. A couple of his were rounded.
2. When he got his block and R/T heads the guy gave him a new set.

That being said, I had to redo the heads on the 03 truck my brother gave me after he blew a head gasket. I never even thought of using new bolts. Did that in December and is fine. It may let go tomorrow, but it is fine today!

I always knew you had a loose head bolt...:poke:.:D...

Me..
Screenshot_20200426-091044.png

318... AKA special Ed...
Screenshot_20191009-071943.png

10's on 5.. yay....

Well, my coffee jump started my brain, and I just remembered a friend who sold his 2000 van had given me his service manual. It says nothing about replacing the head bolts.

might sell you the 318 2bbl that came in the truck. Be a good back up to your 410 stroker, only a couple tenths slower?
You must be some kind of Wheeler dealer... You bought those play block Speedmaster heads to sell?.. what kind of profit were you thinking about on those?..
I already seen somebody sell a Speedmaster intake manifold for 175 plus shipping on here.. all that for 40 bucks...

You must be some kind of Wheeler dealer... You bought those play block Speedmaster heads to sell?.. what kind of profit were you thinking about on those?..
I already seen somebody sell a Speedmaster intake manifold for 175 plus shipping on here.. all that for 40 bucks...
This hobby takes a lot of my money, always has. Whenever I get a chance to let the hobby pay for itself, I let it. I'll sell my BB SM heads 1000 shipped. they are 1205 at summit.

5.9 head bolts are not torque to yield bolts.
thanks. I had heard they were, and apparently they aren't. I'll re-use them. My pocket book loves using parts I already have :) ! Owned about 8 magnums, but never took the heads off of one..... until now. All of them ran good in vehicles except the 5.2 and this 5.9 that I bought out of the vehicles. 5.2 has been on the stand for a while, and this 5.9 we recently just purchased.
P.S. - the heads I took off looked pretty good. Someday... down the road... and it's raining/snowing.... I'll take them apart and give them a look'n over :)

Last edited:
-
Back