Drain radiator

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Quick question, I want to drain radiator and remove lower hose to replace. Leaving the radiator and block dry won't hurt anything till next Spring will it? I started to think not having anti-freeze in radiator and block might cause some corrosion before I replace it come Spring time. On the other hand I might just be over thinking this :drama:
I do keep the garage at 35 or warmer during winter so it won't freeze out there. thanks

not really going to be dry, about 1/2 the coolant will still be in there

I drained my rad of water to set for the winter in the race trailer. We only run water at the track. Its the rules. You dump antifreeze and you are out for a couple weeks.

So After winter I backed the car out of the race trailer and and two of my core plugs were setting on the floor one from each side. I have braded hoses and the lower was off to drain it. When we reinstalled the core blugs we put drains in the block. I believe if it was a factory block and not an extra thick high nickel race block it would have cracked into the pan as I have seen many that come here do. Pull the drains plugs out of the block on each side and install pet-cocks.

Don't just count on it nit to freeze with just draining the water. Also take a heater hose off and blow the core out or it will also freeze and swell the core. Even if it doesn't leak it won't blow air through the core after it swells and you heat won't be hot.

You are taking a chance. I have had the water pump start leaking after draining due to the seal drying out.

You are taking a chance. I have had the water pump start leaking after draining due to the seal drying out.
Water pump seals are not rubber on metal. They are porcelain. mine has never leaked yet.

Steve 099.JPG

who made that dog leg alternator mount? That's just what I need (Geo Metro mini alt on passenger side low mount), I just never visualized it like that.....

The third pic was after the car was totaled so there was coolant and fluids all over the engine after it sat outside before tore down. I used the power steering bracket to mount it and a turn buckle from the sprint car to adjust the belt as seen in the last picture. That bent piece of steel was added due to the belt jumping off at 8000 rpm's. It didn't help though so I installed a normally closed solenoid to shut the alternator off. That cured that. It was a 100 amp GM alternator used to recharge the battery quicker on the return lane and for all the electric accessories the car had.

Steve 100.JPG

Steve 066.JPG

1DSCN2800.JPG

DSCN1671.jpg

Steve 101.JPG

what about filling it back up and use a block heater all winter?

Say if the anti freeze does freeze. In a full, closed, system the water expands and with no where t go, can cause damage. In a system that is 1/2 full, anti freeze in the system, the expansion has a path to expand, not causing damage. Plus if the fluid is correct in it's freeze rating and with correct anti rust additives, leaving it set for 4 months will not cause damage.

I drained my rad of water to set for the winter in the race trailer. We only run water at the track. Its the rules. You dump antifreeze and you are out for a couple weeks.

So After winter I backed the car out of the race trailer and and two of my core plugs were setting on the floor one from each side. I have braded hoses and the lower was off to drain it. When we reinstalled the core blugs we put drains in the block. I believe if it was a factory block and not an extra thick high nickel race block it would have cracked into the pan as I have seen many that come here do. Pull the drains plugs out of the block on each side and install pet-cocks.

Don't just count on it nit to freeze with just draining the water. Also take a heater hose off and blow the core out or it will also freeze and swell the core. Even if it doesn't leak it won't blow air through the core after it swells and you heat won't be hot.

I had to metal lock a 1968 hemi block because I drained the rad. and forgot to drain the block too. Lucked out , its still running today, "someone else owns it tho , dammit !

Say if the anti freeze does freeze. In a full, closed, system the water expands and with no where t go, can cause damage. In a system that is 1/2 full, anti freeze in the system, the expansion has a path to expand, not causing damage. .

This is not true. I WOULD NOT leave water in the block under any conditions If it does not have or doesn't have enough anti freeze, drain the block. You MUST remove both drain plugs, one on each side on a V8

your assuming the water, having space to move, will just fill the void. probably not

This is not true. I WOULD NOT leave water in the block under any conditions If it does not have or doesn't have enough anti freeze, drain the block. You MUST remove both drain plugs, one on each side on a V8

As stated above, I said that if it dah anti freezes, Nit just plain water.

-
Back