Dremel recommendation

-

93ragtop

Reaction score
I have a Dremel model 395. and it quit. I usually use it with small wire brushes....
Was wondering what to replace it with? Would like something decent, but it is occasional use.
BTW Im not stuck on the Dremel brand, so if something better is out there..... Im open to that.

mine is like this (only slightly larger motor)

Photo-Apr-20-9-29-22-AM-1024x576.jpg

i like it

I bought a lithium cordless years ago. It's a goodie!

I bought a Dremel 4000 and it quit after a month. It has variable speed etc. I have a single speed from 1992 and it still runs strong. So all the bells and whistles just break down sooner. Dremel did warranty my 4000 when I sent it back. So single speed is more durable and use it a lot.

Be careful. I have one Sears? Wards? "dremel like" tool AND THE SHAFT SIZE IS DIFFERENT than my old traditional Dremel. It's so old it's not variable speed, and made out of bakelite LOL

I got a $10 swap meet dremel variable and it's still kicking. The variable is not linear anymore, more of a fast and wicked fast, probably just dirty contacts in the switch and if I squeeze it it goes to full boogie no matter what speed it's set to. Best part is the twist to tighten drill press like collet. Will take any size tool diameter with no collet changing.

Last edited:
Btw the $8 harbor fright 6v model sucks. But for $8, you do get a few tool bits and and a stack of cut off wheels. That's why I bought it on a whim, for the stack of disks and the collet. I'd call it Revell model rated. Nothing doing on metal.

That is not a dremel. That is one form of 1/4" die grinder Probably 2x as big and weighs x4 a Dremel

That is not a dremel. That is one form of 1/4" die grinder Probably 2x as big and weighs x4 a Dremel
I was going to say, that thing looks pretty big! Nice flex drive but I cant imagine holding that beast like a pencil!

Yeah but you use the remote flex drive and it should out power a Dremel for a 1/3 of the price. I found this on Struggleville and just thought I'd mention the deal it's only $35 shipped

I appreciate all the suggestions!! I would like to stay corded, and really just want the tool, no flexible extentions. I usually just use it for something quick and small, that I cant get to with anything else.
The one I have, is several years old but rarely gets used. It replaced one that was a lot older....
Even though I had it several years, the runtime is low....
Would like to keep it around $100.00 or so.
Thanks again.

-
Back