Drive Shaft Trunnion Boot.....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I notice when looking for a new drive shaft trunnion boot there are two sizes listed. Large and small. Which one is right for my 64 Valiant ? Originally 170 3 on the tree, still with the original drive shaft. I replaced it when I originally got the car back on the road, but I forgot which one and the damn thing is already busted.

LOLOL If I never SEE a trunnion joint again it will be fine with me.

Ill put $2 on it being small as it was a 6. Collect when you come out here.

About 3 yrs ago I bought a NOS trunnion boot and kit while at Carlisle. Actually, may have been NORS. It was too big to fit my 64 Val so if you have a choice, go small.

Original boot was split and still throwing grease on the underside of my car. Then 2 summers ago I adapted an ATV boot and it's holding up well. (knocks on wood)

In general, I find reproduction boots including clutch fork are molded too thin and don't hold up. And don't ever buy a 4 speed boot from that company out west that rhymes with Masons.

About 3 yrs ago I bought a NOS trunnion boot and kit while at Carlisle. Actually, may have been NORS. It was too big to fit my 64 Val so if you have a choice, go small.

Original boot was split and still throwing grease on the underside of my car. Then 2 summers ago I adapted an ATV boot and it's holding up well. (knocks on wood)

In general, I find reproduction boots including clutch fork are molded too thin and don't hold up. And don't ever buy a 4 speed boot from that company out west that rhymes with Masons.

They just use cheap rubber and they don't hold up. The CV boot is a great idea! And they hold up great, The ones on my Chevy 4x4 front axle had 350,000 miles on them and 18 years old and still going strong.

This is the one I used:
All Balls 19-5008 17mm X 60mm X 81mm long. $13.20 from Amazon.
I had to do a little slicing and dicing for my 64 Val.

-
Back