driveline vibration

-

dceratti

Reaction score
i have a 1969 dodge dart 318 904 trans 71/4 rear. vibrates in park vibrates in gear it gets smoother at a higher rpm I've checked the drive shaft and the torque converter timing is on, what could it be?

Bad Harmonic Balancer? Sometimes the outer ring "slips" even if it doesn't look bad.
Possibly someone previously changed Torque Converter and/or Flex Plate from an external balanced engine?
Though I would expect that to get worse with speed.
1 cylinder misfiring maybe?

Bad Harmonic Balancer? Sometimes the outer ring "slips" even if it doesn't look bad.
Possibly someone previously changed Torque Converter and/or Flex Plate from an external balanced engine?
i checked and theres no weights on the torque and theres no weights on it

How long has this been going on? Did you do any work then the vibration appeared.

How is your timing, what is your base timing set at? Is the timing (mark) jumping around at idle in gear?

Motor mounts? Transmission mount? Take the transmission tailshaft and try to move it- if it moved your trans mount is bad. and the tans is sitting on the crossmember. Does it do it when you are turning

since it does it in park, its not the driveshaft. I would be surprised if its the tc too.

How long has this been going on? Did you do any work then the vibration appeared.

How is your timing, what is your base timing set at? Is the timing (mark) jumping around at idle in gear?

Motor mounts? Transmission mount? Take the transmission tailshaft and try to move it- if it moved your trans mount is bad. and the tans is sitting on the crossmember. Does it do it when you are turning

since it does it in park, its not the driveshaft. I would be surprised if its the tc too.
its been doing it for a while i haven't changed anythingand the timeing is on i have it at 10 before

Has the engine ever been out? Or is this the orginal engine? The balancer on my '72 318 was totally junk on the orginal engine. If it's the orginal engine, guessing that the timing chain isn't in the greatest shape either. Overhaul time.

Has the engine ever been out? Or is this the orginal engine? The balancer on my '72 318 was totally junk on the orginal engine. If it's the orginal engine, guessing that the timing chain isn't in the greatest shape either. Overhaul time.

Get some personal second opinions. Keep looking.

i have a 1969 dodge dart 318 904 trans 71/4 rear. vibrates in park vibrates in gear it gets smoother at a higher rpm I've checked the drive shaft and the torque converter timing is on, what could it be?
Take the accessory drive belts off and try it in park. Dont over heat the engine.
May be a bad fan and/or water pump.
Busted or sagging motor mounts?

-
Back