Drives when in Neutral. B&M shifter

-

Overlook68

Reaction score
Recently purchased Barracuda with 727 from TCI. The prior owner never installed a lockdown cable. I've installed a kickdown cable and changed the fluids. 1st, 2nd and D work good. It will also move in Neutral.

To further complicate the issue, the car has a B&M gate style shifter. If I lift up the reverse lockout. I can find a resting area in the shifter that the car doesn't drive in N. The instructions are simple. Shift trans into low. Adjust cable for the low gear. Are these shifters just needing to be better adjusted? I'm guessing the prior owner wasn't a expert on transmissions; based on the lack of lockdown lever/cable.
bmm-81040_ml.jpg

B&M Magnum Grip Pro Stick Shifter 81040

Try adjusting it in Neutral. The adjustment is just a threaded end on the cable - disconnect the cable, move the trans level to neutral (test by seeing if the car starts and doesn't move) put the shifter in neutral and then adjust the cable to fit smoothly into the lever (no pressure at all - should slide right in with no pressure in either direction.) This is strictly a ratchet shifter, right?

Recently purchased Barracuda with 727 from TCI. The prior owner never installed a lockdown cable. I've installed a kickdown cable and changed the fluids. 1st, 2nd and D work good. It will also move in Neutral.

To further complicate the issue, the car has a B&M gate style shifter. If I lift up the reverse lockout. I can find a resting area in the shifter that the car doesn't drive in N. The instructions are simple. Shift trans into low. Adjust cable for the low gear. Are these shifters just needing to be better adjusted? I'm guessing the prior owner wasn't a expert on transmissions; based on the lack of lockdown lever/cable.
View attachment 1715504734

B&M Magnum Grip Pro Stick Shifter 81040

These aftermarket shifters can be a bit picky about the adjustment.
I adjust mine in neutral to have it come out perfect.

If you do adjust in neutral and it won't go all the way one way or the other in it's travel you need a different lever on the trans that has the right geometry.
Some levers can be redrilled or even slotted to get it nice.

you know after reading Trailbeast's post, I thought of something. When you get a B&M shifter it comes with a new shift selector arm for the transmission. It's length matches the shifter to ensure that a shift at the shifter only moves you exactly one gear. If the previous owner skipped this step and just used the stock arm, this could be your problem. If this is the same arm from B&M that they use in a Star Shifter, I probably have one that you can have for postage.

below are photos of the trans shift arm that
2020-04-10 17.37.54.jpg
2020-04-10 17.39.21.jpg
I think you should have in place.

-
Back