Driveshaft for 600hp 4sp ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I need to order a driveshaft for this build and would like some feedback . I want one that is stout enough but not overkill.

69 Swinger 4sp
408 with Ported W2s and solid roller
( could very well push 600hp)
McLeod RST clutch
20lb SFI McLeod flywheel
8 3/4 braced

The car will be mostly street driven with a few runs per year.
I am thinking 3" chrome moly and 1350 joints.....

600 is pretty stout, but torque will kill a driveshaft. Check out diesel truck driveshafts and their construction. Some of those guys have >1000 ft/lbs torque. 1350 is a good choice.

I want one that can handle a clutch drop at the strip once in a while without going overkill.

How much should I budget for ?

I want one that can handle a clutch drop at the strip once in a while without going overkill.

How much should I budget for ?

A place near me builds them custom... They run around $450 complete with u-joints... They even do truck drive shafts...

Home

I need to order a driveshaft for this build and would like some feedback . I want one that is stout enough but not overkill.

69 Swinger 4sp
McLeod RST clutch
20lb SFI McLeod flywheel
8 3/4 braced

What's wrong with going a little over kill...........drive shaft failure is not something to be put down the list of priorities to be worried about.........about the time you have one come up thru the floor it will change your perspective dramatically...........**** happens fast do your best to avoid it

To me with drive line parts, there’s no such thing as overkill. I ordered my driveshaft thru Cass at Dr Diff. I’d call whomever you decide to use, explain your build and let them decide the best route. My thought is they deal with it day in and out and should know what will hold up.

A little overkill is good but I dont want to throw money at it unnecessarily.
I was looking at Denny Nitrous ready drivelines . But got to wondering about whether I need that much... I just dont know.

That 3.5 aluminum could work... the 3" alloy one has a limit of 50"s and I will need a 52"er

Any drawbacks to aluminum ?

What's wrong with going a little over kill...........drive shaft failure is not something to be put down the list of priorities to be worried about.........about the time you have one come up thru the floor it will change your perspective dramatically...........**** happens fast do your best to avoid it
I had a rear u-jt fail in a mild 318 4bbl Duster w/727 automatic, on a less than all-out acceleration on a freeway on-ramp. From inside, it felt like a bomb went off outside the car. I thought the back of the car lifted a foot or two. It filleted the outer skin off of both my new dual exhaust mufflers. If I was running your combination, I'd be erring on the side of safety.

I ordered mine from Mancini's which is made and shipped from Victory Driveshaft. 3 inch chromemoly with 1350 joints and a mancini forged yolk for my 489 case. Haven't run it yet at the strip and I've got a milder application (511 torque) but it's a 4 speed with a grippy clutch and sticky 28x12.5 Mickey Thompsons.

I just put an 3 1/2” aluminum driveshaft in my Barracuda with a 446 Hemi engine with Tremec 5 speed and 3:91 rear. It’s just a street car but I wanted to save rotating mass and weight.

At least on the front!

If only I had a rear hoop...................

DSCF0340.JPG

69 Swinger 4sp
McLeod RST clutch
20lb SFI McLeod flywheel
8 3/4 braced

Go to a driveshaft shop. Tell them what u are doing, they can build u what u need.

th-400-driveshaft-loop.jpg
M18056.jpg
mancini-racing-front-drive-shaft-loop-18.gif
Mancini, classic and Ram Air, you can adapt these to bolt to the diff snubber mount.

-
Back