Driveshaft length charts are nuts

-
Do you have the FSM for it? If so, check Chapter 16 for applications & measurements.

It’s still best to measure to be sure.
the car doesn't have a driveshaft so where do I measure from? The endish, kinda of the transmission, the driveshaft doesn't go all the way and contact the tailshaft.

To where? eyeball the center of where the u -joints should be ??

Under a car with no driveshaft seems to be a lot eyeballing

I have a driveshaft leaning against the wall in my shop. 76 dart sport 904/8.25
75 duster is a 727 i think.

Will measure tomorrow. Im sure i will forget. Im in my jammies and its 300 feet of winter from my house. So not tonight.

1.4709 Rani body lengths :rofl:. seriously middle of the ujoint position to the middle of the yoke with the tailshaft 1.20 inches out of the trans is how I measured my mess when I had one made up. Most driveshaft sites have a worksheet on them also.

Doesn't it change if the car is on jack stands with the rear end hanging or if the front is on jack stands. as opposed to the car resting flat ??

the car doesn't have a driveshaft so where do I measure from? The endish, kinda of the transmission, the driveshaft doesn't go all the way and contact the tailshaft.

To where? eyeball the center of where the u -joints should be ??

Under a car with no driveshaft seems to be a lot eyeballing
This is from Cass’s (Doctor Diff) website. It’ll give you an idea what to look for in a OEM driveshaft.

5587E877-353F-450A-B9B6-3741A946034E.jpeg

Last edited:
Has to be on the ground. or the rear on jack stands at least. Not a stripped car either, seen a few mistakes made that way

It depends on your drive shaft shop. Most measure from the center of the u-joint cup on the rear end yoke to the rear of the transmission output shaft housing and subtract 1" for slip yoke travel. But, that's when making a drive shaft from scratch. Whether that's the standard by which OEM drive shafts are measured, I haven't a clue.

It depends on your drive shaft shop. Most measure from the center of the u-joint cup on the rear end yoke to the rear of the transmission output shaft housing and subtract 1" for slip yoke travel. But, that's when making a drive shaft from scratch. Whether that's the standard by which OEM drive shafts are measured, I haven't a clue.

The driveshaft shop is on my patio so I guess I need to play trial and error

Ok, so it seems I need a yoke to do this measurement.

When the car was purchased, there was NO driveshaft and NO yoke that usually is attached to the driveshaft which in this case was missing. The car even pissed ATF all over the trailer on the way up

I didn't realize most people can get under the car with it resting on its suspension.

I personally can because I am a small person but I can imagine Grimace trying to slide under the car to measure as Dr. Diff recommends

Look around at different driveshaft laces some have charts to use without a trans yoke think it is from the end of the spline.

The driveshaft shop is on my patio so I guess I need to play trial and error

What do you have? Do you have a slip yoke already? If so, slide the slip yoke into the transmission and bottom it out. Then, pull it out 1" and measure from the center of the u-joint hole on the slip yoke to the center of the u-joint cup on the rear end yoke. Done.

Or like Barry said chapter 16 in the fsm, tons of driveshafts listed there. Well we lead the victim to the water now.

What do you have? Do you have a slip yoke already? If so, slide the slip yoke into the transmission and bottom it out. Then, pull it out 1" and measure from the center of the u-joint hole on the slip yoke to the center of the u-joint cup on the rear end yoke. Done.
I have to take a slip yoke off a driveshaft that I know is not the correct one. (The driveshaft is about a foot and a half too long but it has a 904 slip yoke). I don't have a slip yoke loose on a shelf or anything.

On me way to do that now.

Or like Barry said chapter 16 in the fsm, tons of driveshafts listed there. Well we lead the victim to the water now.
Oh but I was just about to say, "help me obi wan, you're my only hope" ...... looks like princess Leia has to rescue herself now. :poke:

:lol::lol:

I have to take a slip yoke off a driveshaft that I know is not the correct one. (The driveshaft is about a foot and a half too long but it has a 904 slip yoke). I don't have a slip yoke loose on a shelf or anything.

On me way to do that now.

If you measure like I described, make sure the weight is on the wheels. It's ok to put the rear on jack stands, as long as they are under the rear end housing.

Doesn't it change if the car is on jack stands with the rear end hanging or if the front is on jack stands. as opposed to the car resting flat ??
Jackstands should be under rear axle.

1974 Parts Catalog: V,L up to May 1974-48.89",,,,,V,L after May 1974-49.90",,,,,, V,L up to May 1974-51.89",,,,,,V,L after May 1974-52.70". I.m not sure what is what.

My book shows the length to be 2.72 cubits. But it's a real old book.

-
Back