driveway sealing

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
its time to seal my driveway for the first time,it 25 years old,in good shape.but to use there so many brands to use.getting quotes first guy says oil base are the best,ok hes says that because he use that? but there are so many to use,any in put on sealing my driveway.there is a new sealer from rust-oleum ultimate driveway sealer says 15 year warren tee. again who do u trust. thanks

I'd use the tried and true stinky asphalt based
...cheap and effective

its time to seal my driveway for the first time,it 25 years old,in good shape.but to use there so many brands to use.getting quotes first guy says oil base are the best,ok hes says that because he use that? but there are so many to use,any in put on sealing my driveway.there is a new sealer from rust-oleum ultimate driveway sealer says 15 year warren tee. again who do u trust. thanks

Assuming ur talking asphault . I used 25 buckets of the stuff Lowes sells , 3 yrs ago , with the Okla heat , all the asphault has cracked terribly, the new black seemed to make it worse.

I just did mine with the 10 year stuff from Home Depot, so too early to tell. About $30 a bucket. I've used their cheaper "airport runway" stuff before and figured I'd step up from the cheaper stuff this time. I had a guy spray it in 2012 and it actually lasted for a while and probably cost about the same.

Last edited:
is it cement or asphalt?

I doubt if any of them really do much beyond improve the appearance for one season.
It really needs to be worked like a highway or the top dries out and it cracks.
But oil would be best.

Never saw anyone sealcoat a concrete driveway...

saw it all the time in Wa, especially on the nicer exposed aggregate driveways
it's not required to seal a concrete driveway, just like it's not required to seal an asphalt driveway..

Sun, rain, traffic take a toll on Blacktop in short order. That's why Interstates are concrete paved. 25 years is the exception to the rule for longevity without any maintenance. Oil based is in my opinion the best product. It will be messy. Don't use any tools you'll regret throwing away.

The asphalt sealer is meant to replace the oils in the asphalt, which wash away after time. The oil is what sheds water and doesn’t allow it to penetrate into the porous asphalt. Always use an oil based product, and the rule of thumb is when the asphalt turns to a light grey, it is time to reseal it.

The asphalt sealer is meant to replace the oils in the asphalt, which wash away after time. The oil is what sheds water and doesn’t allow it to penetrate into the porous asphalt. Always use an oil based product, and the rule of thumb is when the asphalt turns to a light grey, it is time to reseal it.
you know you just said the same thing 2 have said,my reason is its starting to crack,i have look at outhers in the past it saved there driveway.so oil base it will be.

saw it all the time in Wa, especially on the nicer exposed aggregate driveways
it's not required to seal a concrete driveway, just like it's not required to seal an asphalt driveway..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is if you want it to last longer, it dries out from the top down , if not taken care of it will deteriorate faster.

-
Back