Driving a long distance in hot weather without AC?!

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I am considering driving my Scamp out to Carlisle this year - for the first time. BUT, I don't have Air Conditioning and hate the heat. Are any of you driving an old Mopar to Carlisle this year and can you offer any thoughts?
I know, some of you will think I'm a wimp - but I REALLY hate driving in the heat without AC.
It's really easy to just drive out my daily driver '06 Ford Fusion with ice cold AC :blob:
On a positive note, the Scamp runs terrific and at a steady 180 degrees with my new rad, stat, and hoses. Also, I have a three hour drive - shorter drive than some of you I'm sure.
Ok, let me have it, but go easy on me....lol.

i'm in your camp.
the black interior in my Duster makes matters even worse.
..i won't go to cruise night and mull around for 2 hours on the pavement when it's real hot and humid!

Leave the scamp home. 1 less thing to deal with. The show and swap meet will keep you very busy.

A small ice chest with some water and a towel works pretty good because you can wipe yourself down and also hang it around your neck.

Spray bottle works good too.

I personally wouldn't take my car somewhere like that where I have to walk off from it and leave it unattended.

I am considering driving my Scamp out to Carlisle this year - for the first time. BUT, I don't have Air Conditioning and hate the heat. Are any of you driving an old Mopar to Carlisle this year and can you offer any thoughts?
I know, some of you will think I'm a wimp - but I REALLY hate driving in the heat without AC.
It's really easy to just drive out my daily driver '06 Ford Fusion with ice cold AC :blob:
On a positive note, the Scamp runs terrific and at a steady 180 degrees with my new rad, stat, and hoses. Also, I have a three hour drive - shorter drive than some of you I'm sure.
Ok, let me have it, but go easy on me....lol.

Drive really fast with the windows down LOL sorry couldn't resist.

Drive really fast with the windows down LOL sorry couldn't resist.

LOL. I can drive 30-45 min in the heat without AC, but after an hour or more, the wind is too much with all the windows down. You can't even talk to a passenger that easily.

One thought - If everybody left there car at home, there would be no Carlisle or Nationals.....
I know Roadcuda on here drove his black interior non-AC Road Runner from Conn. last year - yes, in THAT heat!

the trap doors under the dash will keep your nuts cool,just drive fast. I would leave it home

I brought the convertible last year in the 97 degree heat. I learned a good lesson, when it's 100 degrees on the blacktop, it's 100 degrees in a convertible. I'll be driving the Taurus this year with the AC blasting.

you have two choices as i see it.

1) stop being such a pussy (man card should be revoked) suck it up and deal with it. :)

2) stay home.

it looks like its only about 3 hours for you. we have driven out cars there many times with no a/c. its a two hour ride for us. not a big deal. hell the last couple times we went we had an infant with us and no a/c in the car..

also did the mopar nats in my lil red a couple of times. thats in aug and a 7 hour ride. black int no a/c. don't worry you will live. a little sweating may be good for you. bring a cooler with water in it..

I am considering putting a cooler in the passenger side of my 66 Valiant and see how well dry ice holds up or even just ice and force feed a small fan on the back side and have a 3'' supply and return hole in it, who knows :glasses7: this could keep you cool with short pants on blowing at your legs on a small car.
I am glad I have a white top and tan/white interior.
I have drove 2 hours to a members house in the heat and I was sure glad to walk in his a/c'ed cool shop :D But I do agree with abodyjoe, if you are healthy it will be a breeze...

This post reminds me of a 200 mile trip across White Sands desert in 110 degree heat in a Air Force PowerWagon weapons carrier that was governed at 45 mph. Put a rock on the accelerator, cranked open the windshield, took our boots off and let the wind blow on our feet and enjoyed the ride. Drank lots of water, but survived, and under those conditions we didn't have to stop for pee breaks.

I've been driving since the mid-fifties, and never owned an air conditioned car until the mid-eighties, and made lots of long, hot, summer trips before that. Go for it!

Drove an our old Fairlane from Venice Beach to Phoenix in July....and lived. As mentioned, ice chest with some water bottles....
When I make my trips from Spokane to AZ in my truck, that has a/c, I still go to Costco and grab a case of water and bring it and an ice chest for the ride. Most trips I only end up with a bottle or two left when I get home. If you bring an ice chest do not put sweetened drinks in it, they will only dehydrate you. If you don't want to carry an ice chest get yourself a gallon jug form a water store, fill it about half way and freeze. Finish filling it before leaving, will stay frozen for quite a while....

travel after dusk or before dawn. I had to drive an Air Force truck with no A/C across the plains in the summer one year, traveling with the sun down made it much more bareable

travel after dusk or before dawn. I had to drive an Air Force truck with no A/C across the plains in the summer one year, traveling with the sun down made it much more bareable

This too.....when I rode a bike in AZ we would be out of the house by 6 am so we would be out of the desert before it got scorching....

Get a/c for your car? :hiding:

I get it though. Black vinyl is painful in the summer. I used to drive my Scamp on the hottest days of the year...even though I had other cars available with perfectly good a/c. In recent years however that's changed.

I drive about a hour and a half home from work everyday sitting in traffic in a ford ranger with no air. You get used to it. Take the car.

I never owned a vehicle with functioning ac until a few years ago, and I've been driving for for over twenty years. It's not always pleasant, but out on the highway it's really not bad at all. I actually prefer the breeze on the open road. You can do it, unless health problems are an issue for you.

When I was young nothing was air conditioned but now it seems difficult to not have AC in the car. But a 3 hour drive seems very doable. Our A bodies have pretty good ventilation with the door vent windows and lower vents. The problem will be when traffic backs up and you're baking in the sun, some small battery fans will be worth a lot when this happens. And as others have said a cooler with a lot of ice is essential and be smart about what you drink, lots of water and something like gator aid BEFORE you leave. Some towels in the cooler to put on your wrists and neck can help a lot. So I say keep your man card.

I had nothing but 2 wheels for the first 6 years when we were in AZ. Nothing like getting stuck in traffic when it is 112* and sunny. Sat at an accident scene for over 3 hours, no shade nada. At about the 3 hour mark a couple in an RV invited me and the ex to sit in there rv....and have some water...

just pull the glass out. my car stays nice and cool. and with all the bugs you catch you wont have to stop for meals. thats a WIN, WIN in my book.

Wet towel on the dash. Dab your forehead, neck, and arms with a rag in ice water. Drink cold water and chew ice constantly. Battery-powered or 12-volt fan. It's not that bad.

you have two choices as i see it.

1) stop being such a pussy (man card should be revoked) suck it up and deal with it. :)

2) stay home.

it looks like its only about 3 hours for you. we have driven out cars there many times with no a/c. its a two hour ride for us. not a big deal. hell the last couple times we went we had an infant with us and no a/c in the car..

also did the mopar nats in my lil red a couple of times. thats in aug and a 7 hour ride. black int no a/c. don't worry you will live. a little sweating may be good for you. bring a cooler with water in it..

:cheers:

that's why I love my vent windows .......between the vent windows and the trap doors under the dash .......never have a problem with the heat.

the vent windows send the air across the dash and not in your face.....

what year is your car ...I have an A/c/ heater box and vents from a 73 duster im fixin to list soon.....then if you can find the underhood stuff your in business with A/C

-
Back